Congratulations! You have stumbled upon an important kitchen secret. Most professional chefs and bakers use this indispensable tool in baking and cooking but rarely give it too much notice. What can it be, you may ask? Introducing — parchment paper liner sheets!
ZERO IN ON THE PARCHMENT PAPER LINER SHEETS
Parchment paper is one of the most practical kitchen tools. The parchment paper is a cellulose- paper that is lined with silicone to make it heat-resistant generally up to 420-450 degrees Fahrenheit and therefore, can be safely used in the oven for baking and cooking. It is sturdy and tear-resistant, non-stick and grease-resistant. In addition, it is easy to clean and, depending on the brand, allows reuse for several more times.
Parchment paper liner sheets are conveniently available in rolls, pre-cut sheets and rounds to fit all shapes and sizes of cake pans and cookie sheets.
A SURPRISING VARIETY OF USAGE
- Parchment paper is commonly used to line baking pans, cake molds, and cookie sheets. Instead of greasing the pans during baking, the parchment paper allows a “no-sweat” transfer to the cooling rack after baking. Cleaning the cookie sheets is made easier as well.
- It is used to steam fish or chicken cooked in the oven French-style “en papillote” (or wrapped in paper).
- It is also being used to funnel ingredients such as flour or butter and sugar batter into a working stand mixer. As baking is an exact science, parchment paper, therefore, is an important tool to keep the ingredients from spilling during transfer to the mixer.
- It is also used to roll certain foods into a “log” before baking or storing.
- In packaging goodies, the parchment paper is normally used to line between slices of cakes or cookies when these are stacked in a box, thus preventing the food from sticking together.
- The parchment paper is useful in covering counter-tops when mixing bread dough or tempering chocolate, thus preventing food from sticking onto the counter-top and making clean-up easier.
Finally, what’s the secret you ask again? Well, there’s no secret. It has always been there hiding in plain sight. It’s the simple parchment paper liner sheets.