Making Cajun fried chicken can be a challenge — too much spice ruins it, and too little makes it bland. Over time, I have perfected it that the kids say it tastes just like Popeyes! Now THAT inspired me more.
Aside from meat dishes, the kids love fried chicken. Well, what child does not love fried chicken? I think it is the ultimate main dish of all kids. A friend of mine shared that all her daughter ever eats was fried chicken that she gets tired of cooking it. One time, she just told her daughter that the supermarket ran out of chicken! LOL
Let’s spice up that chicken!
I used to just fry the chicken and give the kids some ketchup. However, I realized that it wasn’t so much fun. I’ve experimented with Lemon Chicken, Orange Chicken, and Buffalo Chicken Wings. This time, I decided to add some spice and made Cajun Fried Chicken. As usual, it was a hit! As a tip, don’t put too much spice as it will ruin the taste.
What you need
- 2 cups, whole milk
- 2 tablespoons, Cajun seasoning, divided
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs or drumsticks (about 1 pound)
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Cooking oil
How to make them
I arranged all the ingredients to make sure that I don’t miss anything. Most of the time I multitask – watch TV while cooking or check some emails.
Here’s how I made the chicken:
- Combine the whole milk and 1 tablespoon of the Cajun seasoning. Coat the chicken well with the milk mixture and let it marinate in the fridge for 2 hours, covered.
- In a large dish, mix the flour, lemon pepper, garlic salt and the rest of the Cajun seasoning.
- Drain the chicken and coat the chicken with the flour mixture. Discard the milk mixture.
- In a large skillet, pour some cooking oil, about ¼ inch high. Fry the chicken for about 7 to 8 minutes until golden brown.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on your cooling rack to drain the excess oil.
Let’s have some Cajun Fried Chicken!
If you want to add more spice, you can prepare a dipping sauce made of Sriracha mayo or just store-bought sweet chili sauce. You can also mix some hot sauce with tomato ketchup.
Enjoy! Don’t forget to share this recipe with other fried chicken lovers out there!