The kids love to go out camping. We usually put up a tent in the backyard, bring out some pillows and grill some hotdogs. Camping is perfect during summer and is a way for us to have fun — without gadgets. Admit it, youngsters nowadays are so advanced and cannot live without their electronic gadgets. Camping is a way for us to enjoy each other’s company so gadgets are a no-no.
Anyway, one of our favorite recipes is the S’more Pie. We prepare them indoors before camping out. The boys love to help in preparing the pie because they know that we will be camping out later at night.
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 12 crackers)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups regular marshmallows
How to make them:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the crust by combining the crumbs, sugar and butter in a bowl. Mix well and press evenly at the bottom and sides of a pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes or until firm. Set aside and let it cool on your cooling rack.
- To make the filling, boil the cream in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Once it boils, turn off the heat.
- In a separate bowl, place the chocolate and pour the cream in it. Let it sit for 5 minutes then stir constantly until smooth.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla into the cream mixture.
- Pour the cream into the crust, bake for 25-30 minutes until set.
- Remove the pie from the oven and top with as many marshmallows as it would cover the whole pie.
- Set your oven’s broiler to low, and return the pie in the oven for about 2-3 minutes. Watch it closely as you don’t want burnt marshmallow. You can also use a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallows.
- Once done, take it out of the oven, set aside and let it cool in your cooling rack.
S’mores pie and grilled hotdogs, together with clean family bonding — perfect!