Are you one of those who had to deal with picky eaters that you don’t know what to feed them anymore? I used to have that problem, too. I noticed that kids have this aversion to veggies for some reason. Personally, I cannot live without veggies. I am a meat-lover but I always need to have some veggies either with the meat or as a side. I wanted to instill this love for veggies with my kids, too. Do you agree that getting them to eat veggies is the ultimate reward? Which is how I came up with this Vegetable Calzones recipe.
Why you need to make them
For starters, these vegetable calzones will be a lifesaver believe me. First, they are the perfect solution to feeding your kids veggies without them knowing it! Second, they are so easy to prepare! You can bake a dozen or two, keep them in the fridge, then just reheat them for snacks. Third, you can pack these vegetable calzones for lunch or snacks. You can even bring them to picnics or potluck. Lastly, you can bake batches and sell them! You can even give them as gifts.
What you Need
Let’s get down to cooking! You can substitute some of the veggies according to your preference or add your own. For example, you can also use carrots and potatoes instead of olives. You can even use spinach instead of bell peppers and olives and they won’t even notice.
Here’s what you need: (NOTE: You can double or triple the recipe as needed.)
- 2 pieces pizza dough
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mozarella cheese
- 3 pieces bell peppers, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped olives
- 1/3 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/3 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons butter
How to make the Vegetable Calzones
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- You can use store-bought Pizza dough or you can make it from scratch. Divide the dough into small-portioned sizes. Roll out each portion into a circle, about the size of your palm.
- In a bowl, create the vegetable filling by adding in all the chopped vegetables.
- In a separate bowl, mix in the cheeses with the dried herbs and chili flakes.
- Take a piece of rolled dough and place a large spoonful of vegetable mixture on one side of it. You can even add a spoon of tomato sauce to give it additional flavor.
- Sprinkle the cheese mixture onto it as much as you desire.
- Fold the other half of the dough onto the filling and crimp edges with a fork to seal.
- Repeat the process for the other pieces of dough.
- Brush the calzones with melted butter.
- Place parchment paper onto the baking sheet and place the stuffed dough onto it.
- Bake the calzones for 15-20 minutes, until it is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place each calzone onto the cooling rack.
What do you think? I baked about a dozen over the weekend and there were no leftovers! I guess I’ll have to double the ingredients.
Let us know how it went when you’ve tried the recipe. Don’t forget to share this with your friends, too!