The fall season offers us an abundance of fruits and vegetables. Now is the perfect time to create those delicious vegetable dishes you’ve always wanted. For those who have to deal with picky eaters, don’t worry, you’re not alone. I’m sure a lot of parents can relate to me. If you’re a picky eater yourself, this delicious vegetable dish may help you love veggies more. This cabbage rolls recipe is perfect for meat-eaters, vegetarians, and is kid-friendly, too.
Easy and Delicious Vegetable Dish for Any Day
This Cabbage Rolls recipe is already a complete meal by itself. It has veggies, meat, and rice plus a tomato-based sauce. Cooking the cabbage rolls require separate cooking steps such as cooking the rice and blanching the cabbage leaves. Later on, you can just mix some of the ingredients and finish cooking in the oven.
What I love about this dish is that the flavors of cabbage, meat, and tomatoes complement each other. No flavor overpowers each other so it is very easy on the taste buds. Since it already contains rice, I just eat it by itself. On some days, I skip the rice and just mix the meat with mushrooms and carrots. Then I serve it with rice. My boys still eat it with a serving of rice even though the cabbage rolls already have rice in them.
What You Need to Know About Cabbage Rolls Recipe
Did you know that cabbage rolls originated in Germany? Cabbage rolls are also common in Europe and each country has its own variations. The cabbage rolls consist of meat such as lamb, pork, or beef. In southeastern Europe, fermented cabbage is used to wrap the cabbage rolls. In Sweden and Finland, the stuffed cabbage rolls are served with a sweet and tart lingonberry jam.
Let’s Get Cooking!
This delicious cabbage rolls recipe is a great vegetable dish even for picky eaters. You can also make them ahead then just store them in the fridge to reheat for later. As a tip, cook a large batch for dinner so you can just reheat the leftovers for lunch the next day.
Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends!
Try another of our vegetable dishes that your family will also love — Cabbage Mushroom Omelet.
Easy and Delicious Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 lb ground meat pork or turkey
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 2 pieces small onions diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp dill weed
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained, 14 oz
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 piece egg
- 1 1/2 cups tomato or pasta sauce divided
- 1 can tomato soup about 10.5 oz
- Blanch cabbage leaves for 2 minutes until softened. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook rice as usual but turn it off 5 minutes before it is done so it is slightly uncooked.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground meat with garlic, onions, and seasoning until the meat is browned and cooked through. Drain fat.
- Add rice, diced tomatoes, and 1/3 cup of the tomato or pasta sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the egg and stir to combine.
- In a bowl, combine the rest of the tomato sauce and tomato soup.
- In a baking dish or pan, spread a thin layer of the tomato mixture.
- Get a cabbage leaf and fill it with the meat filling. Roll the cabbage leaf and arrange it seam-side down onto the pan. Make sure that both ends of the cabbage roll are also folded properly.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the cabbage and cover with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let it cool for 15 minutes before serving.
1 thought on “Vegetable Dish for Picky Eaters – Delicious Cabbage Rolls”
I’m looking for something a bit different for dinner and I think I found it! Thanks!