Home-baked goodies are the perfect gifts to give this Valentine’s Day. In fact, I invited my niece over for the weekend because she said that she would like to make something special for Valentine’s Day. At a young age, she has already shown her passion for baking, just like her mom and of course, like me. Her mom says that she always looks forward to our “baking weekend.” She even searches for recipes on the internet and asks me if we can make them. We have our own collection of recipes in a notebook that we update from time to time. She even has a long list of Valentine’s day cupcake ideas but we settled for this quick and easy Sweetheart Cupcakes.
Valentine’s Day Cupcake Ideas for All Occasions
The good thing about this recipe is that you can customize it based on the occasion. Just like our red, white, and blue cupcakes recipe that we made for our Fourth of July celebration, we used food coloring and frosting to decorate the cupcakes.
We also had fresh strawberries so I think they would make delicious toppings for our Sweetheart Cupcakes. My niece was so excited that she was already writing a list on who she will give the cupcakes to. I reminded her that we don’t have much ingredients, so we have to make a quick trip to the supermarket if she wants to make more than 2 dozen. She had 5 people on her list so we agreed that each of them will get 3 cupcakes each, which should be fine.
Our Valentine Project
While the cupcakes were baking in the oven, we decided to make giftboxes. Gifts made with love are more special so add that to the baked cupcakes, our Sweetheart Cupcakes are the perfect Valentine’s Day gifts!
My niece had cut small paper hearts and we will paste this on the gift boxes. We also made small gift cards where she can write her personal notes. Her eyes were gleaming were excitement! I bet she was already imagining how happy the recipients would be! I’m sure they will be very thankful for this special gift of love!
Gifts need not be expensive. In fact, homemade gifts are more special and well-received. It’s the labor of live and how much effort was put into making these gifts that makes them more valuable.
So, if you don’t have an idea for gifts yet, these Sweetheart Cupcakes will surely be perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Let us know on the comments when you’ve made these cupcakes. Don’t forget to share this blog with your friends, too!
Valentine's Day Sweetheart Cupcakes
- 1 18-oz package white cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 8 drops red food coloring
- 2 drops raspberry candy oil
- toppings of your choice optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C),
- Line your muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, water, vegetable oil, and egg whites. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until smooth and free of lumps.
- Pour the batter 1/3 full into the cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Add 4 drops of the red food coloring into the remaining batter. Add the raspberry oil and mix until combined. Pour 1/3 of the pink colored batter into a resealable plastic bag and cut off one corner. Squeeze about 2 tablespoons of batter into the cupcake liners.
- Add the remaining food coloring into the remaining batter and mix well. Pour this into the resealable plastic bag and mix it well. The batter should be dark pink or red.
- Stick the open tip of the plastic bag into the center of the first layer of cupcake batter. Squeeze about 1 tablespoon into each cup. You will notice that you have created a layer or swirl of different colored batter.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Top with your desired frosting and toppings.