This loaded baked potatoes dish is a hit with family and friends! Every time we have a small gathering, these cheesy scalloped potatoes would be the first to disappear from the table. I cannot imagine how much carbs we consume, but hey, they are worth it!
As usual, whenever I cook something, I make sure that I try different variants. For example, instead of just the usual loaded baked potato with cheese I also prepare baked potato with cheese and bacon, and baked potatoes with cheese and sour cream.
With a family of 4 boys (Yes!) not only do I have to make sure that their bellies are full but that the food is delicious. Also, meal times are our special bonding moments – no television, no gadgets, just good ole conversation. Oh, and no bickering and arguing, too, so disagreements are discussed at a separate time. Ideally, this loaded baked potato recipe is a side dish…but well… they consume it as a meal!
I experimented on this loaded baked potato recipe and also made cheesy baked potatoes casserole. Well, they still liked it but baked potato with cheese and bacon is still the winner!
Tips And Tricks For Your Loaded Baked Potatoes
When I know that I’ll be busy for the week, I bake some potatoes in advance, let them cool then wrap them in parchment paper. I place them in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge. This way, when I’m too busy to prepare dinner, I can just heat them in the oven and add bacon bits and cheese. Th best thing about the parchment paper is that you can heat them in the oven without burning!
What’s great about this recipe is that you can cook the potatoes ahead and refrigerate them for up to a day. For busy weekdays, I serve this as a meal with salad on the side. During weekends, we take out the grill and serve them with barbecued ribs! This is also great with my Smoked Boston Pulled Pork recipe.
What are you waiting for? Prepare and enjoy this yummy sliced baked potato with cheese!Don’t forget to share this with your friends!
Cheesy Baked Potato
- 5 pieces large Idaho baking potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 4 oz bacon bits
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp finely shopped chives
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted at room temperature
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Take out your baking pan and wrap it with parchment paper.
- Wash the potatoes well to get rid of the dirt. Place them on a stainless steel wire rack to dry.
- Get some olive oil, salt and pepper and rub them on the potatoes.
- Arrange the seasoned potatoes on the baking sheet and bake for about an hour or until fork- tender. Once cooked, set aside to cool.
- Prepare the crispy bacon. You can either fry them or cook them in the oven like I do! Oven-cooked bacon is healthier and crispier than fried ones. If you chose to fry the bacon, drain them on paper towels and let them cool.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel one of them completely and place in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the other potatoes in half, lengthwise. Scoop out about 2 tablespoons to make a bowl and add them to the mixing bowl, make sure to leave out about ¼ inch pulp. Arrange the potato skins back on the baking rack.
- Mash the potato pulp until smooth and free from clumps. Add the butter, sour cream, 1 cup cheese, bacon bits, half of the chives, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well then spoon them back into the potato shells.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and chives and bake for about 15 minutes or until the cheese melts.
1 thought on “The Ultimate Cheesy Baked Potato Overload”
These were very tasty. Even my pickiest of eaters loved it! Will definitely make it again as a side dish with steak or roasted chicken.