As a parent, we are very concerned with our family’s health. Most especially now that we are in the middle of a pandemic, staying healthy is crucial. You have to admit, all the vitamins in the world cannot guarantee a healthy immune system. Thus, we also have to watch our diet and lifestyle. For those with picky eaters, coming up with a healthy menu can truly be a challenge. I suggest you try this quick and easy Tofu Mushroom Stir Fry with Broccoli and get your kids to eat healthier food.
Why You Should Make this Tofu Mushroom Stir Fry Recipe
The addition of broccoli to this tofu mushroom stir fry recipe adds more nutrition. Broccoli is one of the vegetables that is packed with nutrients. It contains vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants that are essential to health. Broccoli helps prevent certain cancers, help regulate blood sugar levels, support heart health, and promote healthy digestion.
One of the base ingredients in this recipe is mirin. If you do not have mirin in your pantry, you don’t need to go to the store to buy one. You can use mirin substitutes such as Chinese rice wine, rice wine vinegar, or dry sherry. Just make sure to add some sugar to counter-effect the sourness. When you don’t have any, you can just use the juice from 1 lemon then just add sugar.
Time to Cook!
Anyway, I hope your family will enjoy this tofu mushroom stir fry. This is also perfect for health buffs who are trying to watch their diet. Don’t forget to check out our blog for other tofu recipes such as this Low Carb Asian-inspired Tofu recipe.
Enjoy! Don’t forget to share this recipe with others!
Quick and Easy Tofu Mushroom Stir Fry with Broccoli
- 1 14-oz block firm tofu drained well
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms you can use shiitake, cremini, button, and, oyster mushrooms
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 6 pieces scallions
- 1 2-inch pc ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt to taste
- 3 tbsp soy sauce divided
- 2 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing Wine (Chinese rice wine) or mirin
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- sesame seeds for garnish
- steamed rice for serving
- Prepare all ingredients beforehand because stir fried dishes require high heat and quick cooking.
- Cut the tofu into cubes. Place them in between paper towels and cover with a heavy pan to squeeze out excess moisture. Let it drain while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Wipe off the dirt from the mushrooms with a damp towel. Tear into pieces. The key to crispier mushrooms is not to wash them.
- Trim the ends off the scallions. Slice them into 1-inch pieces.
- Peel the ginger. Slice the ginger thinly crosswise.
- In a bowl, toss the tofu with cornstarch, red pepper flakes, salt, and 1 tbsp soy sauce. Mix until the tofu is well coated.
- In a separate bowl, mix rice vinegar, Chinese wine or mirin, and remaining 2 tbsp soy sauce.
- In a large, non-stick skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add ginger, scallions, and mushrooms. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and scallions are a bit browned. Season with salt and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil over high heat. When oil is shimmering, arrange tofu in a single layer. Cook each side, undisturbed, for 2 minutes.
- When the tofu is cooked, add the wine mixture and mushroom mixture. Add the broccoli florets. Toss briskly to distribute the flavors and cook for 2 minutes or until the broccoli is cooked.
- Remove from heat and garnish with sesame seeds. Serve over steamed rice.