As a mom who works at home, sometimes the thin line between work and home disappears. For parents who have to juggle their time after work to attend to their family’s needs, it can be quite a struggle. I have always reiterated the importance of meal planning. In fact, I have written two blogs about it. I feel that meal planning is one of the tasks that we often take for granted. At first, it can be difficult to plan meals and stick to it. But in the long run, you will get used to it and attest to its benefits. So, I’d like to share with you another of the emergency recipes that I also make ahead — Thai-style Chicken Meatballs.
What I Love About Thai-style Chicken Meatballs
These Thai-style Chicken Meatballs are truly a lifesaver! Just mix all ingredients in a bowl and pop it in the oven. You can even ask your older kids to help you make them if you’re really in a hurry. To make them faster, I use an ice cream scoop to spoon the meat and form them into balls. In that way, I make even-sized balls easier because the ice cream scoop is already round.
To cook them, all I need is my handy-dandy half sheet pan with parchment paper. Since the parchment paper sheets are non-stick and unbleached, it’ll be easier to remove the cooked meatballs once cooked. Cleaning the pan will be easier, too. Plus, if I need to make another batch, I just place the cooked meatballs on the cooling rack, replace the parchment paper with a fresh sheet, and bake another batch of meatballs.
If you plan to store them in the freezer, I suggest you bake them already, let them cool, then store in freezer-safe containers or in a Ziplock bag. When you need a quick meal, just bring them out of the freezer about an hour before cooking and reheat them in the oven.
Cook a Feast with Less Time and Effort
Last month had been busy for us since we just moved into a new home. There was one time that some of my friends dropped by to visit and help out. That was one of the times that I made these Thai-style Chicken Meatballs because I had to make lunch for about 10 people in a jiffy. I just served the Thai Chicken Meatballs with some steamed rice and roasted veggies for a complete meal.
Here’s the Thai-style Chicken Meatballs recipe that’s perfect for quick and easy meals! Don’t forget to share this with your friends and help them prepare healthy homecooked meals for their family!
Check out our Spiced Meatballs Recipe, too!
Thai-style Chicken Meatballs
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tbsp lemongrass paste or finely chopped fresh lemongrass
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 pieces Kaffir lime leaves (optional) stems removed and finely shredded
- 3 pieces Thai or bird's eye chilis seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro or coriander finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or fish sauce
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- cooking spray
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- sweet chili sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 430 degrees F. If you are using a convection oven, preheat it to 390 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Line your baking pan with parchment paper.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop out the meat mixture and form into balls.
- Arrange them on the lined baking sheet without touching.
- Spray with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until browned.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with sweet chili sauce.
- Lemongrass paste can be bought in the herbs section at the supermarket (stored in the fridge).
- If you can't find Kaffir lime leaves, you can omit this. You can also use dried Kaffir lime leaves if available.
- Adjust the spiciness by lessening or adding more chilis. This is also optional especially if you have younger children.
1 thought on “Another Emergency Weeknight Recipe: Thai-style Chicken Meatballs”
This was delicious! Made it for my husband’s birthday dinner.