Having kids is both enjoyable and a challenge, especially when it comes to meal prep. It’s important that the food we prepare are healthy yet delicious. Otherwise, they won’t eat it. Also, making quick and easy recipes saves time and effort. Imagine a lot of “hangry” mouths throwing a fuss because the casserole isn’t ready yet. Here’s a kid-friendly recipe that’s easy to make which your kids will truly love — taco cups. You can even sign them up to help you prepare it.
Get Creative with Your Taco Cups
If you don’t have tortillas available on hand, I found this recipe for homemade tortillas that you can make in advance. You can make just the right size of flour tortillas for your taco cups.
You can also use any meat of your choice such as ground pork, chicken, or turkey. You can also opt for non-meat varieties such as tofu and black beans, just like in this Vegan Jackfruit Taco recipe.
Preparing these taco cups can be a great activity for your kids. Keeps them busy and enhances their fine motor skills, too. Make sure to cut up the veggies and place them in safe containers so they can assemble the taco cups by themselves.
I also found a set of ceramic knives which seem safe for kids. But then again, kids still need supervision when using sharp objects. You can teach them how to use the ceramic knives, but make sure they are calm and follow your instructions. Another trick is to purchase toy knives then just let them cut the cheese into small pieces instead of shredding them.
Anyway, I hope you and your kids will enjoy making this Taco Cups recipe. I’m sure it will be a fun activity and totally worth it! It’s the perfect opportunity to bond with them and keep them busy at the same time. In addition, you also teach them values such as cleaning up, responsibility, and patience.
Don’t forget to share this recipe with others! Enjoy!
Kid-friendly Healthy Taco Cups
- cooking spray for muffin pan
- 12 pieces tortillas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Apply cooking spray on muffin pan. Grab a cookie cutter and cut out 4" inch circles. Arrange them in each muffin cavity, folding the edges as needed. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion for 5 minutes or until softened. Add ground beef. Make sure to break up the meat with a wooden spoon to avoid clumping. Add taco seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook for 6 minutes until the meat is no longer pink. Remove from heat and drain fat.
- Spoon the beef mixture into each tortilla cup. Top with cheddar. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the tortillas have golden edges.
- Top off with lettuce, tomatoes, more cheese, and sour cream before serving.
1 thought on “Quick and Easy Taco Cups Recipe for Kids”
Huge hit! These are great. My kids loved it!! Super!