Potatoes are among my ultimate comfort food. Roasted, mashed, or fried — they are so versatile. However, if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic or just watching your carb intake, make sure you control your portions when eating potatoes. Potatoes are high in carbs and may raise your blood sugar levels. Also, how you cook potatoes may make them unhealthy. Baked potatoes are healthier than fried ones. In this semi-healthy smashed baked potatoes recipe, you can use olive oil instead of butter for a healthier version.
Tips for Cooking Smashed Baked Potatoes
This recipe is easy to make and will be ready in less than an hour. The secret to crispy-on-the-outside and soft on the inside baked potatoes is not to overcook them. Do not over boil them. Once you can easily pierce a fork into it, then they should be done.
Use fresh ingredients such as rosemary and garlic as they are more flavorful than dried ones. You can be creative with this dish so feel free to add your choice of herbs such as oregano or basil. You can also garnish it with chives or spring onions.
Parmesan cheese is the first option. However, you can also use other cheeses such as cheddar or mozzarella.
What’s great about this dish is that you can store them in the fridge for up to 5 days. Just make sure you use an airtight container. Reheat in the oven at 350°F for 5 to 7 minutes or in an oven toaster.
Let’s Dig In!
These smashed baked potatoes infused with the flavors of fresh garlic and rosemary are the perfect side dish to Oven-Baked Ribs. Don’t forget to prepare some fresh salad greens for a balanced meal, too!
Don’t forget to share this recipe with others. Leave us a comment, too, once you’ve tried this recipe. Feel free to add your suggestions as well.
Smashed Baked Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic
- 1 lb baby Yukon Gold potatoes about 12-16 pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil you can also use butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp rosemary freshly chopped
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water for about 15 to 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper and arranged the cooked potatoes on it. Using a potato masher or the bottom of a sturdy glass or mug, lightly smash the potatoes.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes. If you are using butter, melt it in the microwave first. Add the rosemary, salt, pepper, and cheese. Toss lightly with your hands to combine.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the bottoms turn golden. Flip the potatoes and season with more olive oil or butter, salt, and pepper as desired. You can add more cheese, too. Bake for another 12 to 15 minutes until crispy.