I miss dining out in my fave Mexican restaurant. Sometimes when I’m too lazy, we order takeout and binge-watch Netflix during weekends. This is our way of helping out the economy, so to speak, coz we keep commerce alive. If you know what I mean… Anyway, I prefer preparing our own food, it’s just that there are times when I don’t feel like cooking. Today, I am feeling particularly energetic and made slow cooker pork tacos.
Totally Worth it Slow Cooker Pork Tacos
I rarely use my slow cooker. One reason is that I get impatient. I would rather just prepare meals in the oven because it’s way easier. However, I have to admit that slow cooking really brings out the flavor, especially in meat. Sometimes I even use the broth to make soups and chowders.
What I love about slow-cooked pork is that they are tender and juicy. I make pork in the slow cooker, shred the meat, and use it for sandwiches, tacos, and stews. If you want an alternative to slow cooker pulled pork, try this Pulled Pork recipe. It takes 48 hours to prepare but is totally worth it!
Pork vs Beef: Which one is Better?
Most people believe that beef is more flavorful and healthier than pork. This belief stemmed from certain religions that ban pork in the diet. However, if we consider both lean cuts of beef vs pork, pork has lower cholesterol content than beef. As an example, try stewing both beef and pork. You will notice that more fat comes out of the beef than pork. Thus, opt for leaner cuts of meat, whether beef or pork, for a healthier option. Therefore, it is okay to eat pork, just trim out the fat and opt for healthier cooking methods such as roasting, broiling, or stewing.
Okay, the slow cooker pork for my tacos is ready! My sons brought out the taco holders and arranged the warmed tortillas on them. I shredded the pork while hubby brought out the rest of the toppings. Since the weather outdoors is great, we have decided to have a picnic in our backyard!
Hope you’ll enjoy this Slow Cooker Pork Tacos recipe as much as we did! Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends!
Slow Cooker Pork Tacos
- 4 lbs boneless pork shoulder untrimmed and cut into chunks
- 3 whole ancho chiles
- 3 whole pasilla chiles if you can't find pasilla chiles, you can just use ancho chiles
- 4 cloves garlic unpeeled
- 2-3 pieces chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 small white onion roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pieces bay leaves
- 1 piece cinnamon stick
- 8 pieces corn tortillas warmed
- toppings lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, avocados, cheddar cheese, salsa, guacamole, hot sauce
- In a microwave-safe bowl, place the chiles and garlic. Add 2-3 tablespoons of water. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes until they are soft and pliable.
- Peel the garlic. Remove the stems and seeds of the chiles.
- In a blender, add the chiles, garlic, onion, chipotles, honey, 2 tbsp olive oil, vinegar, 1 tbsp salt, and oregano. Blend until smooth.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. Stir-fry the chile sauce for 8 minutes until fragrant. Pour the broth and continue to cook until the liquid has thickened and slightly reduced.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper. Place inside a slow cooker along with the bay leaves, cinnamon, and sauce. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours. You can also use a Dutch oven to cook the meat. Cover and cook at 1 hour and 45 minutes at 350 degrees F. Remove cover and cook for another 30 minutes.
- When the pork is soft, discard the bay leaves and shred it with 2 forks. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve on warmed tortillas with your choice of toppings.
1 thought on “Get Ready for Taco Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Every Day”
So delicious! I made this and it was amazing. Will make it again next week, fam loved it.