I found this deliciously creamy pumpkin pasta sauce which is the answer to my pasta cravings! Pasta is still high in calories, especially if you use heavy cream with it. Thus, pumpkin makes it healthier, has less calories, and is equally rich and creamy. This creamy pumpkin pasta is perfect with homemade garlic bread, don’t you think?
What’s Different About this Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
Pumpkin contains only about 49 calories per serving. Alfredo sauce contains about 500 calories. See the difference? This recipe, although it uses milk, uses the non-fat version. Also, pumpkin makes the sauce thicker and creamier so you don’t have to add too much milk and cream. Using whole wheat pasta further lessens the calories. You won’t have to feel guilty and run to the gym after eating a bowl of this delicious pumpkin pasta!
If you don’t have pumpkin, you can use squash instead. Actually, pumpkin is a squash variant so the health benefits and taste are the same. Here is a quick guide on pumpkins and squash to help you out when you need them for your recipes.
I remember I made some squash chowder when I was feeling the blues. With just a few tweaks, I think it makes a great pasta sauce, too. I’ll share the recipe next time — it’s very easy! All you have to do is mix all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and heat it up. It’s also perfect as a light snack when paired with some crackers or toast.
Anyway, I hope you will try this creamy pumpkin pasta sauce and use it for your pasta dishes. You can make more and just store it in mason jars. The next time you crave pasta, just cook the pasta, reheat the sauce, and enjoy!
Don’t forget to share this recipe with others. Leave us a comment, too, once you’ve tried it.
Rich and Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- 16 oz whole wheat fettuccini or any pasta of your choice
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups non-fat milk
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 6 oz reduced fat cream cheese cut into chunks, room temperature
- 2 tbsp fresh sage leaves chopped, divided
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Make sure it is al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta water. Drain and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Once it sizzles, whisk in the flour until it turns golden.
- Add garlic; cook for 30 seconds. Gradually add the milk and whisk it constantly to avoid clumps. Increase heat to medium high and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly until it thickens.
- Remove from heat then add the spices, pumpkin, cream cheese, and half of the sage leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk until you get a smooth consistency.
- Add the cooked pasta and toss it with the sauce. Add pasta water if the sauce is too thick. Serve with parmesan cheese and the remaining sage leaves.
2 thoughts on “Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce for your Pasta Cravings”
This creamy pumpkin recipe is comforting. I was surprised at how creamy it is. An easy way to get all these vegetables into children.
I love pumpkin chowder so this pumpkin sauce is such a delight to me!