“Chicken wings, chicken wings, hotdog and bologna… chicken and macaroni…”
This song has been stuck on my head since I’ve heard it on TikTok. You can’t deny that it’s a catchy song though. I learned that the song was created by Fred Blankenburg 8 years ago through the Nintendo DS app. Flipnote Studios allows digital creators to bring digital animations to life by drawing short clips. Cool, huh? You can check out the original Chicken Wing song on YouTube.
Why Do Americans Love Chicken Wings?
In an article by Mashed in 2020, it was mentioned that Americans eat an average of 1.4 billion chicken wings during Super Bowl season. Wow! Can you imagine how many chickens lost their wings? Just kidding lol.
The love for chicken wings was born out of convenience. People would mostly buy chicken breasts, so the wings attached to them go to waste. Chicken wings were sold at a cheaper price so food entrepreneurs got creative. Thus, chicken wing recipes were born. Just like the famous Buffalo Wings recipe you encounter in every restaurant.
There’s a saying that boneless chicken wings aren’t chicken wings until you debone them yourself. Personally, I prefer chicken wings with the bones. It takes the fun out of finger-lickin’ good, to borrow KFC’s motto. I find it much more delightful when I literally eat the bone clean, including the cartilage.
I also find chicken wings juicier and easier to cook. Drumsticks and thighs are juicy, too, and have more meat. However, they take more time to cook and sometimes end up bloody on the inside. Chicken breasts taste too bland for me. I just use them for sandwiches, wraps, salads, and fillets.
How Do You Cook Your Chicken Wings?
Another great thing about chicken wings recipes is that you can fry, bake, roast, or air fry them. Just cook them in oil or coat them in breading. You can also toss them in your favorite sauce such as garlic butter, buffalo chicken flavor, Orange Chicken, teriyaki, and more. You can also check out our blog for more chicken wings recipes that you can make at home.
I know you all have your favorite recipes. Here are a few of our favorites that you may want to try out.
Chicken Tandoori Wings by Nigel Thompson
This recipe is created by one of our brand influencers. You can find his account on Instagram (@teawiththethompsons) and on TikTok (@teawithmrt). You can also check out the link on his bio and get his recipe eBook. His recipes are so unique and easy to make and this Chicken Tandoori recipe is one of the best! Check it out!
Crispy Fried Chicken Wings
Crispy Fried Chicken wings are the most versatile chicken wings recipe. You can just leave them as is and serve with your favorite dip, or toss them in your favorite sauce. I like to serve them as is then just have a variety of dips on hand. Saves time and effort!
What You Need
- 2 lb. chicken wings
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Step by Step
- Wash and dry the chicken wings.
- In a shallow dish, combine flour with salt and spices. Coat the chicken pieces well.
- Heat oil until it reaches 350°F or when it starts to smoke. Deep fry chicken for about 8 minutes. You can re fry them for added crisp.
- Serve with ketchup or your favorite dip. You can even toss it in your favorite Buffalo sauce or teriyaki flavor.
Teriyaki Chicken Wings
Kids love the sweetness of this Teriyaki Chicken Wings recipe. You can pair it with your favorite dip or eat it by itself.
What You Need
1 lb chicken wings
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
For the teriyaki sauce:
⅓ cup low sodium soy sauce(70 mL)
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp sesame seed
Step by Step
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Pat dry the chicken pieces with a paper towel.
- In a shallow dish, combine baking powder and salt and coat the chicken pieces well.
- Place your cooling rack on the aluminum pan. Arrange the chicken pieces on top and bake for 40 minutes or until crispy. No need to flip. For easier clean-up, line your baking sheet with parchment paper first.
- While the chicken bakes, make the teriyaki sauce.
- In a skillet or non-stick pan, mix the teriyaki sauce ingredients and cook on medium heat. Bring to a boil while stirring occasionally to prevent from sticking. Turn off heat and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- When the chicken wings are cooked, toss the chicken wings in the teriyaki sauce until fully coated.
Chicken wings are a must-have especially during Super Bowl season. It is up to you how to cook your chicken wings but you can never deny that it is one of America’s favorites.
Share your chicken wings recipes with us, too! Don’t forget to share this blog with your friends.