I remember when the boys were younger, they loved to make gifts for Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. Sometimes they would make cards or enlist my help or their Dad’s to prepare breakfast. This time, since they are all old enough to cook, they will be making oven baked ribs for their Dad. They are excited about it because this time, I’m not gonna help them. My eldest was even nice enough to buy the ingredients with his own money. I’m excited, too! I’m sure my hubby will be really surprised and delighted on Father’s Day!
How to Prepare this Oven Baked Ribs Recipe
Before you make this oven baked ribs recipe, make sure that you have the best choice of meat. I told my boys to research first before they head off to the butcher’s for some meat. I suggested that they go to the butcher’s instead of the supermarket because the meat is always fresh. Fresh meat is better in quality than frozen ones.
When choosing the best type of ribs, choose the one where a large part of meat covers the bones. Choose cuts where there is not too much surface fat. Also, avoid choosing meat that is cut too close to the bone, otherwise, the meat will fall off before you eat it.
I also taught them how to remove the “silverskin” from the ribs as this is tough and chewy when cooked. Of course, we want only the best for the man of the house and we don’t want to ruin his day because of tough meat. When removing the membrane from the ribs, you just have to stick a knife beneath the white membrane on the bones. It will be easy to pull it off from then on.
Seasoning the ribs is the most important aspect. You have to season the meat and let it marinate for 30 minutes or longer so the flavors will really be absorbed. Don’t forget to serve this dish with some delicious sides such as this Baked Asparagus with Cheese!
I can’t wait for Father’s Day and see the look of delight on my husband’s face. He has no idea what’s in store for him this Sunday. Actually, he was asking the boys if they had plans and they all said they were going out or something haha! I can already see the hurt in his face, but I know that will be replaced with joy once he sees the boys’ effort in making this oven baked ribs for him!
Try this out, too! Don’t forget to share this recipe with others!
Oven Baked Ribs for Father's Day
For the ribs:
- 2 lbs baby back ribs
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
For the barbecue sauce:
- 1 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Line your baking pan with foil.
- Prepare your ribs by washing it then removing the thin, white membrane on the bones. This "silverskin" is tough and chewy when cooked. You can easily removing it by running a knife beneath the membrane and peeling it off.
- In a mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, mustard powder, and cayenne. Mix well and rub all over ribs. Place ribs on baking sheet, cover with foil, and bake for 2 hours.
- While the ribs cook, prepare the barbecue sauce. In a saucepan, combine all sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, for about an hour or until thickened.
- When 2 hours has passed, change the oven's setting to broil. Remove foil and baste both sides with barbecue sauce. Broil for about 2 to 4 minutes or until the sauce caramelizes. Let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
1 thought on “Make Father’s Day Special with this Delicious Oven Baked Ribs”
This will be my go-to rib recipe, delicious! Perfect for Sunday dinner!