I cannot believe that summer is almost over! However, I can still feel the heat. That makes me lazy in the kitchen ‘coz I don’t want to spend a lot of time cooking in a steamy kitchen. What we do is to cook quick and easy recipes or grill our food outside. Grilling is something that we made a habit of during weekends. It’s such a great time to spend outdoors when the weather is good. However, if I want to cook something special, I choose easy recipes just like this skillet macaroni and beef recipe.
Making the Mexican Skillet Macaroni and Beef Recipe
In another blog, I featured how to make Taco Pasta Salad that you can serve for your Mexican-themed gathering. If you want to add more variety to your pasta, you can also make this Mexican-style Skillet Macaroni and Beef recipe. What’s great about this recipe is that you can cook all the ingredients in just one pan. You don’t have to drain the pasta.
At first I was wary because I was used to cooking pasta the traditional way — boiling it then draining. You can still cook pasta using this one-pan method but you need to add the right amount of water. Otherwise, either your pasta will get too mushy or you end up with watery sauce. Also, you have to make sure that you occasionally stir the sauce so it gets evenly distributed. The recipe requires that you simmer the pasta for 15 to 20 minutes, but you can cook it in lesser time once you get the desired tenderness. It is important that the macaroni is still al dente.
Anyway, this is how my eldest son cooks his pasta. I learned this trick from him and it seems to work. He uses this method when cooking his favorite macaroni and cheese.
What about you? Have you tried cooking pasta this way?
Leave us a comment and tell us about your pasta cooking experiences. You may also share your quick and easy recipes with us.
Mexican Skillet Macaroni and Beef Recipe
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 cup corn kernels fresh, canned, or frozen
- 1 1/4 tsps chili powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained
- 2/3 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup reduced fat or regular cheddar cheese shredded
- In a large non-stick skillet, cook the beef over medium-high heat. Add the onions after a minute. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the beef is no longer pink. Make sure to crumble the beef with a wooden spoon.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, seasonings, corn, and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add the uncooked macaroni and reduce the heat. Let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the macaroni is tender. Don't forget to stir occasionally. Once cooked, sprinkle with cheese.