Have you ever had to deal with picky eaters? For moms and busy cooks who have to feed picky eaters, here’s a delicious and easy recipe to get them to eat their veggies. This meatless Monday recipe of Crispy Potato Tacos will delight even the pickiest eater!
If you’re a vegan, you will also enjoy this recipe. Now you don’t have to worry about what to eat on Taco Tuesdays ‘cos you can now prepare this meatless Monday recipe for meat eaters and picky eaters. They won’t even notice they’re not eating meat, I assure you.
Why Potatoes are Best for your Meatless Monday Recipe
If you want to eat healthier and maintain a gluten-free diet, potatoes are your best bet. Not only are they cheaper than meat, but they are more nutritious, too. Here’s why potatoes are a healthier alternative to meat:
- Potatoes are rich in nutrients such as protein, fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Magnesium, Potassium, Manganese, Niacin, and Folate.
- Potatoes are rich in anti-oxidants such as flavonoids, carotenoids, and phenolic acids that help neutralize free radicals. When accumulated by the body, free radicals may cause cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
- Potatoes contain resistant starch which contributes to insulin resistance. Therefore, potatoes help improve blood sugar levels.
- Resistant starch in potatoes also improve digestive health.
- Potatoes are naturally gluten-free and is perfect for those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
- Potatoes help you lose weight because they are naturally filling and help curb hunger pangs.
- Potatoes are very versatile. There are so many ways to cook them. You can even use them as a meat or rice substitute and reduce your intake of carbs and fats.
Baked Potatoes vs Fried Potatoes
Ever since I used my baking pan, I have stopped frying my potatoes. Roasting potatoes in the oven is a healthier way of cooking them because you don’t use too much oil. Remember why french fries taste better than boiled fries? It’s because of the oil and the added flavors. Well, to take care of that, instead of immersing the fries in oil, I just seasoned them with salt, pepper, and olive oil; arranged them on a cooling rack; and placed them on top of a baking sheet. The fries come out just as crispy, flavorful, and non-greasy!
In this recipe, instead of frying the potatoes, I roasted them in the oven. Saves time and effort, too! While the potatoes are cooking, I can prepare the veggies. I also brought out the stainless steel taco holders, heated them along with the potatoes a few minutes before the potatoes are done, and piled up the fillings.
Here’s the Crispy Potato Tacos recipe for your meatless Mondays and taco Tuesdays! Perfect for a vegan diet, too!
Don’t forget to share this with your friends! Leave us a comment and let us know how it went.
Crispy Potato Tacos
- 2 pieces large russet potatoes cubed or diced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 pieces corn or wheat tortillas
For the Toppings:
- grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Season the russet potatoes with salt, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, and olive oil.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper and spread out the potatoes.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until browned and tender.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking, warm the tortillas in the oven.
- Arrange the tortillas in the taco holders, arrange the toppings along with the baked potatoes.
1 thought on “Meatless Monday Recipe for Picky Eaters: Crispy Potato Tacos”
I used different seasonings and added more lettuce and cheese and it turned out really well. It was easy to make too