Over the weekend, I went to the supermarket and was enticed to buy a lamb leg. I had my grocery list ready, but inspiration suddenly hit me and I decided, at the spur of the moment, to buy that lamb leg. When I got home, it suddenly hit me that I was unsure how to cook the lamb!
Since my husband and I are on the Keto diet, I knew that I have to come up with a Keto-friendly recipe. Lamb meat is rich in high-quality protein as well as vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin B12, Niacin, and Iron, which makes it a nutritious food source.
I was overly excited about this lamb. The minute I walked in the house, the first thing I did is to check what spices we have in the pantry. Undecided on the recipe and the best way of cooking method to use , I did a little research and ended up experimenting on whatever spices are available. The first thing was to marinate the lamb. I cut the lamb about 1 inch thick and soaked it in this very easy marinade recipe. The secret is to marinate it overnight. The lamb will absorb all the goodness and flavor of the spices, which will make the meat even tastier and more tender. I ended my night with just marinating it. To tenderize any meat, it is suggested to marinate it 24 hours prior to cooking.
The next day, I decided what I wanted to do with the lamb. Our REC TEC Grill was just sitting in the patio for a week, unused and probably missing me hehe. This sparked an idea of just throwing it in the grill, plain and simple. I remembered that I recently made some Tzatziki as a dip for my celery sticks. It would be great to pair this grilled lamb with some pita bread or cauliflower rice. You could even have it with some steamed veggies or salad.
What You Need
For this recipe, make sure to prepare your barbecue skewers ready. You also need:
- 2 large onions, sliced in half
- Joseph’s flax,oat bran and whole wheat pita bread – This bread is low carb (6 net gram per bread) and rich in ALA Omega-3.
Marinating the Lamb Leg
For the marinade, I mixed all the ingredients below, placed it in a Ziplock bag along with the sliced leg of lamb. I used about 4 pounds of lamb for this recipe.
That spur-of-the-moment leg of lamb that I bought was worth it! It was also a perfect timing because that afternoon, a few of my friends unexpectedly dropped by the house . I ended up inviting them for dinner, and we all shared this delish meal. Imagine, 4 pounds of lamb meat gone in a few minutes! Well, it certainly warms my heart that my family and friends love my cooking. Not having leftovers is good because I know that they found the meal satisfying!
Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends! This recipe is perfect for weekends and small gatherings. You can also have this for your Thanksgiving dinner!
Grilled Lamb with Tzatziki Sauce
- REC TEC grill
- baking pan
- roasting rack
- 4 lbs lamb leg
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 head garlic minced
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- 1 piece juice from lemon
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper optional
TZATZIKI SAUCE RECIPE
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini liquid squeezed out
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbso juice of lemon
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 tbsp Slap Ya Mama seasoning or crushed red pepper optional
- 2-3 tbsp mint leaves minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- Mix all ingredients for Tzatziki sauce and keep refrigerated in a Ziplock bag or a mason jar until use.
- Bring out the marinated leg of lamb from the fridge and place them in metal or bamboo skewers.
- Add an onion between 2 to 3 slices of lamb to add moisture and flavor.
- Place the lamb skewers on the grill and cook it at 350 degrees F for 1 hour and 20-30 minutes. It is best to measure the meat temperature until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.
- Another option is to roast it in either a convectional or conventional oven. Grease the baking rack with olive oil for easier cleaning, place it over the aluminum pan, and arrange the skewered lamb on top. Roast at 350 degrees F for an hour and a half or when the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. To retain the lamb flavor and moisture, it is recommended to use a meat thermometer to check its doneness.Once done, let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing it into smaller pieces.
1 thought on “How to Make Grilled Lamb Leg with Tzatziki Sauce”
Marinated for 5 hours, the lamb was amazing. Great Valentines or anniversary main course.