Among the most popular diets are the Low Carb or Keto diets. I tried the Keto diet before but stopped since my cholesterol levels increased. Now, I am trying to limit my carb intake without the added fats of the Keto diet. Pasta and noodles are among my favorite dishes, so good thing I found this low carb noodles recipe to satisfy my cravings.
The great thing about this Pad Thai Shirataki Noodles is that it’s ready in just 15 minutes. Perfect for when you’re craving for some Asian noodles and you want to eat healthy or don’t want to order food. If you’re not following the Keto or low carb diet, you can use regular fettuccine noodles or any other pasta.
Why Use Shirataki Low Carb Noodles
For pasta lovers, one of the most difficult food to let go of is pasta or noodles. Good thing that we now have the low carb shirataki noodles as an option. Shirataki noodles originate from Japan and come from the konjac plant. They are also known as konnyaku or yam noodles.
Shirataki noodles have no nutrients and have no taste of their own. Unless the manufacturer adds nutrients, they can add vitamins and minerals or even tofu. Thus, shirataki noodles have no significant nutritional benefits. However, shirataki noodles are high in fiber and are very low in calories. People with diabetes can greatly benefit from this because the soluble fiber helps decrease the absorption of carbohydrates that lead to a blood sugar spike.
High fiber food are also good for weight management. The combination of a low calorie and high fiber diet of shirataki noodles will make you feel satisfied longer and eat less. Fiber is also good for managing bowel movement and promotes healthy gut bacteria in the colon.
Other Low Carb Options
If you’re looking for other low carb recipes, you can also try this Low Carb Asian Tofu recipe. You can even pair the Low Carb Pad Thai Shirataki Noodles with the tofu for a filling meal.
Don’t forget to share this delicious and healthy recipe with your friends. Let us know if you’ve tried it, too! Feel free to share your low carb noodle recipes with us.
Pad Thai Shirataki Low Carb Noodles
- 1 package Shirataki noodles
- 1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp coco aminos you can also use light soy sauce if you're not on a low carb or Keto diet
- 2 tbsp xylitol or erythritol you can also use brown sugar if you're not on the Keto or low carb diet
- 1/4 tsp blackstrap molasses optional
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes 1/8 tsp only for lesser spice
- 2-3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil you can also use vegetable oil if you are not on a low carb or Keto diet
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 200 grams fresh shrimp or shredded chicken
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 30 grams bean sprouts
- 3 green onions finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 35 grams unsalted peanuts lightly toasted and chopped
- lime edges
- Cook shirataki noodles according to package instructions. TIP: To remove the smell, drain the noodles then rinse well in cold water. Cook in boiling water for 2 minutes then cook in a non-stick pan to dry.
- In a small bowl, combine the fish sauce, coconut aminos or soy sauce, sweetener, red pepper flakes or cayenne, and add lime juice to taste.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat some oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sautée until the garlic starts to brown. Add the shrimps or chicken and cook through. The shrimps should look like the letter C when cooked.
- Add the lightly beaten eggs and whisk to scramble until a bit solid but moist.
- Pour the prepared sauce and mix well to combine. Add the noodles and bean sprouts and toss to combine well. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve with cilantro, green onions, peanuts, and fresh lime.