Whenever there are gatherings or special occasions, I always make it a point to serve different appetizers. One of my bestsellers is this Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushroom appetizer that is easy to prepare as it is to disappear.
I found this recipe on the internet (where else?!) and it became our family’s signature dish every year. Normally, I prepare this dish with my stepdaughter, which became a bonding session for the two of us. In a family with 4 boys, you can imagine what we put up with haha! When my stepdaughter couldn’t join us for Thanksgiving dinner, she prepared the dish for her mom and grandma.
November and December are the busiest months due to non-stop holiday celebrations such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Eve. This means cooking chaos and over-spending! LOL! For business owners, this is the end of the year and the fourth quarter – so add that to the busy-ness.
This recipe only requires a few ingredients and I usually make this in advance — about a day or two before the celebration. So, it’s one dish out of the way with the rest of my to-do cooking list.
At first, I used my Kitchenatics baking pan or a silicone sheet, but I noticed it came out soggy and watery. I improvised and used the roasting rack for oven and achieved a better result. The 1-inch height of the stainless steel roasting rack was the secret to perfection.
For paprika lovers, you can add a dash of paprika on each mushroom cap before cooking. This makes the stuffed sausage more aromatic. Otherwise, you can serve it with a dash of hot sauce or sriracha.
Perfect Appetizer, Perfect Meal
Have you ever wondered why we need appetizers? And why are we still hungry even though we’ve feasted on appetizers?
Well, that’s exactly what appetizers are for. They tease the taste buds and prepare us for the main course. Appetizers can range from small slices of cheese, bread, mushrooms, or even soup. Also, they balance the whole meal itself. For example, if there is no fish in the main course, the appetizer can be comprised of fish such as tuna melts.
Let’s Get Cooking!
Check out the recipe for the ultimate Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms for appetizers. Leave us a comment and let us know how it went. Don’t forget to hit the share button and spread the goodness!
The Ultimate Appetizer: Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 24 pieces large whole fresh mushrooms
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 package 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 bunches scallions chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan plus more for toppings
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- dash of paprika for toppings optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cooling rack on a baking pan and spray with cooking oil. I use Pam or any olive oil spray.
- Wash the mushrooms and dry with a paper towel. Break off the stems to hollow out the center of the mushroom.
- Don't throw the stems. Cut them into small pieces or put in a food processor. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage until the color turns golden brown. Set aside until the sausage to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked sausage and the rest of the ingredients except the paprika. Mix all ingredients well.
- Take each mushroom, spoon some the sausage mixture, and stuff inside the mushroom.
- Arrange the mushrooms evenly on the wire rack.Top with the additional parmesan cheese and paprika.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.