Every July 29th we celebrate National Chicken Wing Day! Chicken wings are one of the top favorites on the dinner table and during parties. You can have them any way you like them — fried, barbecued, saucy — you name it! I used to like fried chicken wings the best. Ever since I’ve learned how to make baked wings, I now like them better that way. Plus, baked hot wings are healthier and more flavorful than fried ones.
Why We Love Baked Hot Wings
My family loves the outdoors. Every summer, we would think of something fun to do and commune with nature. We would go to the beach, play ball in the park, go on a hike, or traipse through some forests. We moved to a new house where we literally live in the mountains. In this mountainous region, it’s easy to find areas to hike.
Last weekend, we went hiking and decided to have a picnic, too. I prepared some sandwiches and of course some oven baked hot wings. After a long hike, a delicious meal is what we all needed.
What I love about baked hot wings is that they’re very easy to make. Baked, not fried, this is definitely a healthier version. Takes less time to prepare, too! Wings are also easier to cook than drumsticks. In the case of drumsticks, if you don’t cook them properly, sometimes they can still be bloody on the inside. Chicken wings are perfect as appetizers and beer buddies. They’re also great to bring on picnics!
Let’s Wing It!
Here’s a delicious Baked Hot Wings recipe from Ash’s in the Kitchen. You can also visit her website for delicious recipes especially for gatherings. Let’s get cooking and grab our baking pan and rack sets and start cooking!
Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends! Send us your best wings recipe, too!
Oven Baked Hot Wings
- 4 lbs party wings tips removed
- 2 lbs hot peppers of your choice preferably cayenne or jalapeño
- 2 cups white vinegar
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat some oil over high heat.
- Protect your hands with cloves. Remove the seeds from the peppers then finely chop. Set aside.
- Add the chopped peppers to the hot pan. Sear until blistered and tender. Add the rest of the ingredients except the chicken wings and cornstarch.
- Remove from heat and place inside an immersion blender. Pulse until smooth.
- Return to pan and simmer for about 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken wings and toss to coat well.
- Place your oven rack on top of the baking pan. Spray some cooking oil or grease the rack with some olive oil.
- Arrange the wings and bake for 45 minutes. Flip the wings then bake for another 30 to 40 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Toss the wings in the pepper sauce and serve warm.