There are days when I crave for cheese that I put cheese on everything! One time I made some egg sandwiches and I added grated cheese on it. Remember the Tteokbokki recipe I made? The dish tasted so much better with melted cheese on top! Let’s satisfy our pizza and cheese cravings with this easy Four Cheese Pizza recipe!
Let’s Talk About Cheese!
Did you know that there are 7 types of cheeses? Cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan are among the popular cheeses that we know of. Check out the different types of cheeses:
- Fresh Cheese — Fresh cheese have low moisture content. To remove the whey, they are pressed for hours or weeks to compact the curd. Examples of fresh cheese are parmesan, cheddar, and gruyere.
- Aged Fresh Cheese — Aged fresh cheese is made of goat milk and is left to dry. This helps the rind wrinkle and a bluish-grey mold develops. As this blue mold darkens, it adds an intense and goaty flavor to the interior. Examples of aged fresh cheese are ricotta, mozzarella, and cottage cheese.
- Soft White RInd — Some examples are camembert and Chevre Log. Penicillin candidum, a fine white crusty mold, helps ripen the cheese and prevents the insides from drying out.
- Semi-soft Cheese — One example is Edam cheese. To make this cheese, the curd is lightly pressed to remove the whey. The result is a rubbery and elastic texture. Some semi-soft cheese is washed repeatedly in brine which helps the orange and sticky bacteria to develop. This results in a pungent flavor and aroma.
- Hard cheese — Traditional hard cheese such as cheddar is wrapped in cloth. Other European cheeses are soaked in brine. These methods help protect the cheeses from drying out in cellars where they are stored for many months or years. Examples of hard cheese are gruyere, parmesan, cheddar, and pecorino.
- Blue cheese — Blue penicillin mold is added into the vat just before the milk has curdled. The cheese is pierced to let air in and the blue mold penetrates. The result is a spicier taste. Examples are blue brie style cheese and gorgonzola.
- Flavor added cheese — Nuts, fruits, and herbs are added to hard cheese such as Gouda and Cheddar for a variety of flavor.
Let’s Make Homemade Cheese Pizza!
Now that you know all about the different types of cheese, let’s get cooking! Grab your cooling rack and baking pan set, tie your apron, and get ready to bake! This recipe uses white cheddar, Monterey Jack, Parmesan, and Mozzarella cheese. You can substitute other cheeses if you don’t have them in stock. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to share this recipe with your fellow pizza and cheese lovers!
Homemade Four Cheese Pizza
For the dough:
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp olive oil additional
For the toppings:
- 3 tbsp softened unsalted butter
- 4 cloves medium garlic minced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley optional
- In a large bowl or mixer, combine the water, honey , and yeast. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes until yeast starts to form.
- Add salt, flour, and 1 tbsp olive oil. Mix well until the dough pulls away from the bowl.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes, manually.
- Form the dough into a bowl. Cover the dough with the remaining olive oil, place back into the bowl, and cover with a damp towel. Place in a warm area and let the dough rise for about 45 minutes.
Making the pizza:
- Preheat oven to 450°F. If you have a pizza pan, lightly oil it with olive oil. Otherwise, you can use a sheet of parchment paper placed on top of the baking pan or cooling rack.
- Flatten the dough and lay it on top of the pizza pan or baking rack with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the softened butter and garlic. Spread it evenly on the pizza dough.
- Sprinkle all the cheeses, evenly, except the parmesan.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with fresh parmesan and parsley.
1 thought on “Homemade Four Cheese Pizza to Satisfy your Cravings”
I enjoyed this recipe esp. that my daughter only eats cheese pizza. Nice recipe. Worth trying!