Spring rolls are the ultimate make ahead recipes. You can prepare them in advance and store them in the freezer until you need them. What I like about a spring rolls recipe is that you can be creative with the ingredients and customize it according to what’s available. For example, if you don’t have ground pork you can use ground chicken, beef, or even fish. You can even use leftover meat.
One of my favorite spring rolls recipes is the Vietnamese Spring Rolls. What I like about it is that it is a complete meal by itself. Sometimes I even eat it for snacks or serve it as finger food in small gatherings. Wrapping the spring rolls takes time but after that you won’t have a hard time cooking them. I even taught my sons how to fry the spring rolls so they can prepare their own food when they get hungry without waiting for me.
How to Cook the Best Spring Rolls Recipe
Spring rolls are very versatile. You can fry them, cook them in the air fryer, or even bake them. Frying is the normally the option. But if you want less oil, you can use an air fryer. If you don’t have an air fryer, you can bake them.
Grab your cooling rack and place them on top of the baking pan. Make sure to brush olive oil on the cooling rack before placing the spring rolls for baking. After arranging the spring rolls, brush both sides with a mixture of vegetable oil and sesame oil. Bake in a preheated oven of 425 degrees F for about 15 to 20 minutes until crispy and golden brown. What’s great about using the cooling racks is that you don’t need to flip the spring rolls!
Now that’s cooking made easier!
What about you? Care to share your best spring rolls recipe? Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends, too!
Vietnamese Spring Rolls
- 1 lb ground pork, beef, chicken, or turkey
- 1 package (4 oz) rice vermicelli soaked in cold water for 15 minutes, drained and chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 green onion minced
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic mashed
- 1/4 cup finely grated carrots
- 3 tbso chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp white wine
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 20 pieces spring roll wrappers
- cooking oil for frying
- 2 tsps vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground meat, carrots, onions, green onions, vermicelli, garlic, cilantro, white wine, and egg. Season with salt and white pepper.
- Make sure that you have separate the spring rolls. Wrap them in a clean, damp towel to avoid hardening.
- Spoon the mixture into one of the spring roll wrappers and roll like a log.
- Seal the edges by moistening it with water.
- In a large pan or wok, heat some oil over medium high heat.
- Once ready, fry the spring rolls until crispy and golden brown.
- Drain on cooling racks then serve on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place a cooling rack on top of a baking pan. Brush the rack with oil.
- Combine the vegetable oil and sesame oil. Brush both sides of each spring roll with the oil mixture.
- Bake the spring rolls for 15 to 20 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
2 thoughts on “How to Make Healthy Vietnamese Spring Rolls Recipe for Make Ahead Meals”
Never knew you could bake spring rolls! I tried this and it was better than fried, healthier, too!
Worth the effort. Authentic and delicious! Made exactly according to the recipe. I used pork, these spring rolls taste just like those in the restaurants. Yum!