“Taco Tuesday” is an honored tradition in my family. This is why I love tacos so much! Speaking of tacos, let me tell you about my vegan jackfruit taco story. There was one time when I got to taste the jackfruit tacos, and I couldn’t believe that it didn’t have any meat at all because it was THAT GOOD! So I thought, hey, I should try this healthy vegan recipe, too. Best of all, the magic words are “healthy” and “vegan.” YOU.MUST.TRY.THIS. This recipe is also perfect with the stainless steel set of tacos holders. No more mess when eating tacos!
But before we go to the recipe, let me just share with you some facts about the wonder jackfruit that I read about.
Why eating Jackfruit is healthy for you
Jackfruit is an exotic tropical fruit and is native to South India. It has a spiky outer skin with green flesh when unripe and ripens to a bright yellow color. Most vegans and vegetarians love the unripened flesh of this fruit because it has the same texture and can be used as a substitute for shredded meat. (Source: www.healthline.com)
One (1) cup of jackfruit has 155 calories and contains multiple vitamins and minerals such as fiber, protein, Vitamins, A and C, riboflavin, magnesium, potassium, copper, and manganese. In addition, here are some reasons why eating jackfruit is beneficial:
- It improves blood sugar control as it has a low glycemic index (GI) that can be eaten for people with diabetes.
- Protects against diseases because it is rich in Vitamin C. It also has antioxidants such as carotids and flavanones that are beneficial against diseases such as hypertension, heart diseases, and type 2 diabetes.
- Boosts immune health because it has vitamins A and C that help prevent illness.
- Prevent and improves skin problems due to rich vitamins and nutrient contents
Takeaway on Vegan Jackfruit Tacos
Hey, this fruit is a wonder fruit, indeed! I am so excited to try out this recipe. For sure, it will be another hit with my family. Besides being delicious, it’s low-fat, low-sodium, low cholesterol and is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, too.
Did you enjoy this blog article? Love this recipe? Please tell us in the comment below. Share the link with your family and friends so they too can try it. Would you like to see more tips and food recipes?
Vegan Jackfruit Tacos
To prepare the Jackfruit mixture:
- 2 cans green jackfruit in water or brine drained, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tbsp light oil
- 1 piece onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp coco sugar or alternatives
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp Mrs. Dash seasoning alternative for salt
To make the tacos:
- 8 pieces taco shells (hard or soft) gluten-free, if possible
- 1 piece avocado sliced
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- lime wedges for serving
To prepare the Jackfruit mixture:
- After draining and rinsing, prepare the jackfruit by chopping them thinly into small triangle pieces. This will allow for fast cooking.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When hot, sauté onions and garlic for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent but garlic is not burnt.
- Add in the chopped jackfruit, vegetable broth, coco sugar or sugar alternate, lime juice, spices, Mrs. Dash seasoning (replacement for salt) to the pot and cover.
- Cook jackfruit over low heat for about 5 minutes or until half of the liquid is absorbed and the jackfruit becomes slightly soft.
- When softened, smash the jackfruit until a shredded texture is achieved. If it is too wet, cook for a minute or two, if too dry, add a splash of vegetable broth to get the right texture.
To assemble the tacos:
- Warm the taco shells according to the package directions.
- When warmed, add a scoop of the jackfruit mixture at the bottom of the shell.
- Then, top with an avocado slice, a couple of red onion slices, some cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Add cheese, or hot sauce, if desired.
- Set onto a stainless taco stand.