I love rice so much! However, my health does not jive with the food that I wanted to eat. I just recently got diagnosed with high cholesterol having an LDL of 199, which is pretty extreme. As per doctor’s order, I have to stay on a low-carb diet. I still cook without restrictions for my growing kids; but, I am starting to incorporate healthy ingredients, and menu to the table, so I don’t have to cook twice. The key to this though is meal preparation. It makes it easy for me to prepare 2 separate dishes on some days.
Curried Chickpea with Quinoa
- 1 cup pre-rinsed quinoa
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed well
- 1 piece medium onion diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp salt You can also use Bragg seasoning blend or Mrs. Dash
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- Cook the quinoa. Check the cooking procedure at the back of the packaging. I normally cook 1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups of water using a rice cooker. Set aside.
- Heat a cast iron skillet. Using 1 tbsp of olive oil, sauté onions until translucent, then add the minced garlic.
- Add chickpea, and seasoning according to your taste. Stir occasionally for 10 minutes. Serve immediately on top of your quinoa.