During the holidays, everyone is ecstatic feasting with joy in food heaven! Now, after the holiday feasting is over, everybody in a food coma. Food is always the farthest thought from anyone’s mind during these times. And then, there’s the issue of food preparation and the perennial question- what’s for dinner? To which you cannot find a good answer despite the fact that there are so many leftovers chilling in the fridge.
Under such circumstances, practicality is key. The sound thing to do is to use up the leftovers to create delicious and healthy concoctions that you can serve your family. Doing this, you will be able to save money from more food shopping, and eating out. In addition, you have a better opportunity to stay healthy by preparing nutritious and delicious meals.
Here are some suggested actions to ensure maximum efficiency in dealing with those holiday leftovers and converting them into yummy dishes.
Look into a weekly calendar and select the type of meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner) and the schedule that you should prepare.
Easy Meal Planning
- Take an inventory of the food in your pantry as well as in the fridge.
- Based on the inventory list of food available, perform reverse meal planning. This means that based on the food that is available, figure out which dishes can be converted from these food types.
- Refer to your library of specialty recipes. You can refer to your cookbooks as well as your album of the recipe collection.
- List down each recipe for each meal type in your meal plan. Make sure that leftovers that go bad more quickly are scheduled first in the meal plan. This practice will ensure that all leftovers will be consumed.
- From the resulting meal calendar as prepared above, list down the ingredients for the dishes that are NOT in your inventory which you need to get from the grocery store.
- Obtain the lacking ingredients from the grocery or market.
- Lastly, prepare the meals according to your meal plan using your leftovers.
- Religiously stick to the meal plan.
Finally, here is a dish that will use up your leftovers but is delicious, filling and always a hit with the family. Introducing… the ever-reliable easy peasy Fried Rice Recipe. Serve it steaming hot for the family to enjoy.