Chocolate Revel Bars are the perfect snacks for those who have a sweet tooth. Revel bars use oatmeal as its main ingredient. If you have a box of oatmeal stocked in your pantry for so long, here’s a great way you can use it.
Revel means “to take great pleasure or be delighted.” This is so appropriate for the snack because you will surely delight in it. The combination of chocolate, nuts and milk will satisfy your cravings!
Why You Need Some Healthy Chocolate Revel Bars
Who says chocolate is unhealthy? Too much of anything is not good, but in small amounts chocolate can actually be healthy for you.
One of the main ingredients of chocolate is cocoa which contain flavanols. Flavanols have antioxidant properties that can reduce cell damage and lower your risk of heart disease. Dark chocolate contains more flavonols which can also help reduce blood pressure.
One the other hand, oats is another healthy ingredient in revel bars. Oats are a rich source of fiber, carbohydrates, and proteins. Oats also help reduce LDL or bad cholesterol, improve blood sugar control, and help you lose weight.
Nuts, another ingredient in making chocolate revel bars, are also packed with nutrients. They are high in healthy fat and are a good source of protein and fiber. Nuts also help lower blood pressure and LDL or bad cholesterol, thus, also lowering your risk for heart disease. Here are the types of nuts that are good for you:
- Macadamia Nuts
- Brazil Nuts
- Peanuts – *make sure you don’t have peanut allergy before adding this to your revel bars.
Let’s Revel in these Healthy Snack Bars!
I made a lot of chocolate revel bars to stock. I definitely need these snack bars to get me through the day. I love sweets so these definitely satisfy my cravings. Women would especially benefit from these during those days that we feel cranky and crave for some sweets. These snacks are also great for kids, not only because they are sweet but because they are packed with nutrients. Chocolate revel bars are also perfect for a late night snack with a glass of warm milk! Great for dessert, too!
Oh, and you can freeze the revel bars so they last longer. Cut them into bars, wrap them in parchment paper, then place them in a Ziplock bag or freezer-safe container. When you’re ready to eat , thaw them at room temperature for 30 minutes, microwave with the parchment paper.
Try it out! Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends!
What about you? What healthy and delicious snacks can you share with us? Let us know in the comments or send us a message!
Chocolate Revel Bars
- 3 cups oats rolled, quick cooking, or dry
- 2 1/2 cups flour wheat flour, white, all-purpose, enriched
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 cup salted butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 can condensed or sweetened milk 14 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips you can also use dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, almonds or any nuts of your choice you can also use raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grab your quarter size baking pan and grease it.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk 1 cup butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Get another bowl and combine the dry ingredients: oats, flour, baking soda, and 1 teaspoon salt. Add the butter mixture. Mix well to combine then set aside.
- In a saucepan over low heat, heat the condensed milk, chocolate chips, 2 tablespoons butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. When the chocolate has melted, remove from heat. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla and the nuts.
- Layer the oat mixture and chocolate mixture finishing with the oat mixture on top. That makes 3 layers.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let it cool in a cooling rack before slicing.
- You can increase the ingredients and bake it in a half sheet pan instead.
- Instead of greasing the baking pan, line your baking pan with parchment paper.