Why You Need a Healthy Salmon Dish in your Diet
Salmon is one of the healthiest food that you should always include in your diet. A healthy salmon dish has plenty of benefits such as:
- rich in Omega-3 fatty acids for heart healthy
- great source of protein
- high in B vitamins for energy
- good source of potassium
- loaded with the mineral selenium to improve blood levels
- contains the antioxidant Astaxanthin which decreases bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases good cholesterol (HDL)
- reduces risk of heart disease
- helps in weight control
- helps fight inflammation
- protects brain health
I always make it a point to prepare a healthy salmon dish 3 times a week. Good thing the kids don’t have any aversion to fish. I even have this Oven-baked Salmon which my stepdaughter really loves that I also prepare during busy weeknights. Salmon is very versatile and easy to cook, which is why you should always have this in stock. However, make sure that you only store fresh salmon in the fridge up to 2 days to keep it from being spoiled. Wash and dry it well then wrap it tightly with plastic wrap then with foil.
I found this delicious Firecracker Salmon recipe online and I served it one time when we had “unannounced” guests for dinner. The spicy sriracha adds a kick to it which makes it more enticing.
Cooking Tips in Preparing Healthier Recipes
The cooking method for this health salmon dish is unique. Instead of just pan-frying it, I used an aluminum baking pan. This method is a healthier alternative because less oil is used. Plus, cooking it in an aluminum baking pan retains its juices and natural flavor due to lesser cooking time.
On the other hand, if you have parchment paper, you can also cook an en papillote version of salmon. Perfect for busy days if you ask me. You see, cooking food in the oven is easier, healthier, and more efficient. Thanks to my ever-reliable oven safe roasting rack and aluminum baking pan, I am able to cook healthier meals with no hassle!
Check out the recipe and share it with your friends, too! Don’t forget to leave us a comment once you’ve tried it.
- baking pan
- parchment paper
- 4 pieces salmon fillets, skin removed
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp sriracha chili sauce
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to tasta
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the garlic, ginger, oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, pepper flakes, and sriracha chili sauce. Set aside 1/2 cup of the sauce for serving later.
- Season the salmon fillets with salt, pepper, and paprika. Add the fillets to the marinade and turn to coat evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or longer.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190.6°C).
- Heat an oven-safe fry pan over medium heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Sear the salmon for 2-3 minutes per side to achieve a nice crust.
- Get your baking pan and brush it with olive oil. Arrange the salmon fillets and bake for 8-10 minutes at 375°F or until done. The internal temperature of the salmon must be at 130°F (55°C), plus at least 5 minutes rest before serving.
- Move to a serving plate and brush the salmon with a light layer of firecracker sauce. Garnish with chopped chives and serve.