Are you one of those who wrinkle their noses in disgust when somebody mentions a chicken liver recipe? I am a bit adventurous when it comes to food so eating innards such as liver don’t really bother me. I get disgusted with exotic food if they are creatures though. One thing that I learned is that, if it looks good, it must taste good, too.
When I first cooked this chicken liver dish that I found on the internet, of course, I did not tell my family what it was. Just like with the Braised Oxtail recipe, if they find out it’s something odd such as liver or a tail, they wouldn’t want to try it. That was an accident though, I didn’t notice that they were snooping around as I was bringing out the ingredients. But anyway, they still loved the dish and forgot that it was a tail.
A Healthy Chicken Liver Recipe
Organ meats, such as liver, are actually more nutritious than regular meat muscle. Chicken liver is rich in proteins, dietary fat, and minimum levels of carbohydrates. Among other nutrients, chicken liver is also rich in the following vitamins:
- Vitamin A
- B Vitamins – B1, B2, B3, B5, B6
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
In addition, chicken liver is also rich in minerals such as iron, phosphorus, zinc, calcium, potassium, and magnesium among others. This chicken liver recipe is packed with nutrition especially since it is mixed with vegetables. Plus, the tomato paste adds another healthy component to the diet – lycopene.
However, be careful not to eat too much chicken liver, or any other organ meat. Organ meat is high in purines which may contribute to gout.
What’s great about this dish is that it’s roasted. Roasted food is healthier as compared with those cooked on the stove because it has less oil. It is also juicier as it retains most of the moisture. Plus, veggies won’t be overcooked in the oven.
Not many people like eating organ meat such as chicken liver. The secret is to make the meal as enticing as possible. This Chicken Liver Recipe with Veggies is packed with nutrients and looks good to eat, too!
Grab your baking pan and try this dish. Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends!
Roast Chicken Liver Recipe with Veggies
- 150 grams chicken liver
- 4 potatoes diced
- 1 green bell pepper minced
- 1 red bell pepper minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot diced
- 200 grams canned peas
- 200 grams canned green beans
- 100 grams boiled okra
- 4-5 tbsp tomato paste
- vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- flour for dredging
- Preheat oven to 392 degrees F.
- In a skillet, heat some oil and sauté the onions and peppers until softened.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and braise for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Add the rest of the vegetables to the baking sheet: okra, green beans, peas, as well as the tomato paste and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Pour hot water to cover halfway through the veggies.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Clean and wash the chicken liver. You may also slice them into smaller bite-sized pieces if you prefer. Season with salt and coat them in flour. Arrange the liver in between the cooked veggies.
- If the water has evaporated, you can add more to moisten the dish. Bake for another 15 minutes or until the chicken liver is cooked. Garnish with parsley before serving.