Spanish bread or Señorita bread (pan de kastila), is a Filipino bread roll with a traditional sweet filling made of bread crumbs, butter, and brown sugar. The bread is normally cylindrical in shape and is yellowish due to the use of butter or margarine and eggs. In this article, I baked Spanish bread with a twist — I used the all-time favorite Nutella! You can also use other sweet fillings such as strawberry jam; the secret is mixing it with bread crumbs so it does not spill out while baking. This easy Spanish bread recipe will surely be a hit among kids due to its sweet filling. Adults will have a kick out of this baked bread, too, and will surely satisfy the sweet tooth!
Spanish bread is normally sold in bakeries in the fillings. It is a very popular snack among the masses. Most people also have it for breakfast with a nice hot cup of local coffee. This easy Spanish bread is so easy to make and only has a few ingredients. You can bake a whole batch and keep them refrigerated for a week. Reheat them in the oven or microwave for an easy, ready-to-eat breakfast or snack.
Why You Should Make this Easy Spanish Bread Recipe
For busy moms who are always racking their brains for home activities with their kids, here’s an easy and fun activity they will surely enjoy. Since this Spanish bread recipe is so easy to make and has only a few ingredients, you don’t have to worry about making a lot of mess. Kids will enjoy mixing the ingredients. Letting your kids help out in the kitchen will teach them values such as patience and discipline. Starting them young is also a great way to teach them practical life skills!
Let’s Get Baking
Grab your baking sets and start baking this easy Spanish bread recipe! Perfect for weekend baking! You can also bake lots of them and give them as holiday gifts.
Let us know once you’ve tried this pastry! Feel free to share photos on social media and use the hashtag #bakewithKITCHENATICS.
Spanish Bread with Nutella Filling
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 cups flour plus extra for flouring surface
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp butter
- oil for dough
For the filling:
- 1/2 jar Nutella
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- In a mixing bowl, combine warm milk, yeast, and white sugar. Mix well until sugar is dissolved. Cover with a clean cloth and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, add flour and salt and make a well in the middle. Add egg and beat. Add wet ingredients inside the well and mix well until free of lumps.
- Add butter and use a spatula to mix and form a dough.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough for 7 minutes.
- Apply oil and place in a clean bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let it stand for 1 hour or until the dough doubles in size.
To make the filling:
- In a mixing bowl, add about half a jar of Nutella and 3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs. Mix until well combined. If you want more filling, you can add more Nutella. Just make sure to add another tablespoon of breadcrumbs if the mixture becomes too creamy. The breadcrumbs will prevent the filling from leaking.
To assemble the bread:
- Roll the dough and cut into desired sizes and number of pieces.
- Roll into a ball and flatten until it is oblong in shape.
- Spoon the filling into the dough.
- You can either roll the dough or make cylindrical balls with the filling in the center.
- Coat all pieces with bread crumbs.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside for 20 minutes for proofing.
- While waiting, preheat the oven to 180°C for 15 minutes.
- Bake the bread for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden.
- Let it cool in a cooling rack until warm to the touch then serve with hot chocolate or coffee. Enjoy!