One of the things that homemakers and cooks always have to deal with are leftovers. No matter how delicious your dishes are, there will always be leftovers at least once or twice a week. It could be that you cooked a very large portion and they got tired of eating the same thing again. That is why you should always factor leftovers when it comes to meal planning. There are a lot of easy meal recipes that you can cook from leftovers.
Under such circumstances, practicality is key. The sound thing to do is to use up the leftovers to create delicious and healthy concoctions that you can serve your family. Doing this, you can save money from more food shopping and eating out. In addition, you have a better opportunity to stay healthy by preparing nutritious and delicious meals.
Here are some suggested actions to ensure maximum efficiency in dealing with leftovers and converting them into yummy dishes.
Easy Meal Planning
- Take an inventory of the food in your pantry as well as in the fridge.
- Based on the inventory list of food available, perform reverse meal planning. This means that based on the food that is available, figure out which dishes can be converted from these food types.
- Refer to your library of specialty recipes. You can refer to your cookbooks as well as your album of the recipe collection.
- List down each recipe for each meal type in your meal plan. Make sure that leftovers that go bad more quickly are scheduled first in the meal plan. This practice will ensure that all leftovers will be consumed.
- From the resulting meal calendar as prepared above, list down the ingredients for the dishes that are NOT in your inventory which you need to get from the grocery store.
- Obtain the lacking ingredients from the grocery or market.
- Prepare the meals according to your meal plan using your leftovers.
- Religiously stick to the meal plan.
To help you out here is an easy peasy Fried Rice Recipe that will be a hit with your family.
Leave us a comment and let us know how it went. Don’t forget to share it with your friends, too!
Easy Peasy Fried Rice Recipe
- 5*6 cups leftover rice
- 1 cup leftover meat cut into small cubes beef, pork, or rotisserie chicken
- 4 eggs scrambled and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 3-4 slices bacon cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup chopped carrots or frozen mixed veggies
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onions
- salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce, use any of the following:
- 2 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp Chili garlic sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- In a pan, stir-fry the bacon in its own oil. Once crispy, toss in the onions and stir-fry until it is translucent.
- Add the garlic, leftover meat, and mixed veggies. Season with salt and pepper. Stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked leftover rice then mix with your preferred sauce. Stir-fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add the scrambled eggs and heat through.
- Turn off heat and garnish with spring onions.