Who could ever say no to chocolate cake? I’m such a chocolate lover that I could never live without chocolate. That’s why this holiday season, instead of coming up with other dessert recipes, I will just make this easy chocolate cake recipe. What’s great is that I can customize it according to preference. I’m thinking of adding more chocolate as frosting, or maybe white chocolate frosting then top it off with more chocolate! Marshmallows and strawberries would be great toppings, too!
How to Make this Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe
It’s so timely that we just released a new set of products — round parchment paper sheets! Now we don’t have to measure and cut the perfect rounds for our cake pan. We have 8-inch round parchment paper sheets and 9-inch ones. Both are unbleached parchment paper which makes them safe to use for food. Did you know that white parchment paper is bleached? Thus, it may contain chemicals that affect the taste of food. That is why we opted for brown, unbleached parchment paper ‘coz it’s safer and environment-friendly.
Anyway, this chocolate cake recipe is so easy. This is actually one of the first cakes that I baked. Just make sure you get the measurements right and the consistency. Since baking is a science, we have to be precise and follow instructions to the dot. It is also an art where we can get creative with the output.
Let’s Get Baking!
So, check out the recipe below and make your own easy chocolate cake recipe. If you don’t have round parchment paper yet, now is the time to get yours. Just visit our shop and choose from the perforated parchment paper and the round ones with no holes.
Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends! I’m sure they’ll love the idea of making chocolate cake for the holidays.
Easy Chocolate Cake
- cooking spray
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch process)
- 2 1/2 cups cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 pcs large eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Get 2 round, 9-inch cake pans. Coat the bottom with cooking spray then place a round parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, pour 1 1/2 cups boiling water then whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients until well combined: flour, sugar, baking sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the vegetable oil, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla. Using a mixer, beat on medium for a minute until smooth.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low. Gradually add the cocoa mixture and beat steadily until combined. Finish mixing with a rubber spatula. The batter will thin out.
- Pour the batter equally into the cake pans. Tap them on the counter to help settle the batter at the bottom.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. To check, insert a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean, it is done.
- Set the cake pans on a cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, run a knife around the edge of the pans to loosen up the cake. Invert on a cooling rack and let it cool completely. Remove the parchment paper. Let the cakes cool completely before icing them or decorating them.