What are your emergency recipes? I have a lot of them, in case I get stuck in a cooking rut. Among my emergency recipes are baked salmon, no-cook Spaghetti Puttanesca, and Chicken Fajitas. These Chicken Fajitas recipe are perfect with some wheat flour tortillas or even by itself. You can even serve them over rice or as a side dish.
I love making fajitas because they have a few ingredients and are ready in less than half an hour. It’s also the best recipe that takes care of leftover chicken. You can even just microwave the ingredients and not cook them in the stove. If you’re a vegan, you can also try vegetarian fajitas that use beans instead of meat.
Tacos vs Fajitas: What’s the Diff?
Have you ever wondered how tacos are different from fajitas? I initially thought it had something to do with the ingredients. At first, I thought tacos used meat and fajitas used chicken. Until I realized there was chicken tacos.
Anyway, I did my research and learned that fajitas actually refer to the filling. Fajitas are originally made from skirt steak and you cook them with onions and bell peppers. You can grill or cook them in the skillet. While tacos are already assembled with meat, veggies and salsa; fajitas are assembled at the table. The ingredients are placed in serving bowls and you fill the corn or flour tortillas with it.
Fajita means “little sash” from the Spanish term “faja” meaning “belt or band.” Taco, on the other hand, means tortilla folded over meat and veggies. The term taco literally means “wadding or plug” in Mexican Spanish.
How to Make Easy Chicken Fajitas Recipe
I normally use rotisserie chicken when making chicken fajitas. Sometimes I buy fillet chicken breasts from the supermarket and use it for a variety of recipes, among them chicken fajitas. If I don’t have tortillas, I just serve them over cooked quinoa.
Another version is to make vegetarian fajitas. Instead of chicken or steak, you can use black beans or canned refried beans. This is perfect when you are trying to watch your weight.
You can get creative with your chicken fajitas recipe. You can also use skirt steak and make some carne asada.
Not sure what to serve for Taco Tuesdays? Try this Chicken Fajitas recipe instead and serve them on your classy stainless steel taco holders.
Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends!
Quick and Easy Chicken Fajitas recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into strips
- 6 pieces flour or wheat tortillas
- 4 tbsp canola oil divided
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 small or medium sweet red pepper julienned
- 1 small or medium green pepper julienned
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup onions chopped
- Marinate the chicken with lemon, canola oil, and seasonings. Refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours.
- In a large cast iron pan or non-stick skillet, sauté the onions and peppers until crisp and tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same skillet, remove the chicken from the marinade and cook for 5 to 6 minutes over medium-high heat.
- When the chicken is no longer pink, add the peppers and heat through.
- Spoon filling on warmed tortillas and add desired toppings and condiments.