Make breakfast truly special and memorable with this easy breakfast burritos recipe. What’s great about this recipe is that you can also make them ahead and keep them in the freezer. On busy mornings, you can just bring it out of the freezer and reheat in the oven, microwave, or in a skillet.
That is why I highly recommend meal planning every week. This helps you plan which recipes you can make ahead. On the other hand, if you’re the type who likes having extra food that’s ready to reheat, just make a big batch of these breakfast burritos.
I found out that it’s also best to prepare make-ahead breakfast so that my kids can also grab them and bring them to lunch as needed. In the past, these breakfast burritos are a lifesaver when it comes to early morning school activities. I see to it that they have breakfast before leaving for school.
Nowadays, while most parents opt to homeschool their children, having make-ahead meals will ease the burden of preparing meals all throughout the day. You can also teach your children independence by reheating their own food. Just make sure to discuss safety and ensure that they follow proper instructions when using the microwave.
What I Love About this Breakfast Burritos Recipe
This breakfast burritos recipe is so versatile. Also, it is packed with complete nutrients needed for the day. You have meat as proteins, cheese as dairy, and vegetables as well. The tortillas also count as carbs. Thus, you already have a complete meal at the start of the day.
In addition, the ingredients are easy to find. You may already have them in your pantry or fridge, too. You don’t need expensive ingredients to make a healthy breakfast.
At first, I was doubtful how the burritos would come out if I froze them. What I did was to wrap each in plastic wrap then placed them in a freezer-safe container. When I reheated a few pieces the next morning, they turned out great.
Another thing that I love about these breakfast burritos is that you can reheat them in the oven, microwave, or in a skillet. When I heat them in the oven, I remove the plastic wrap and place them in the stainless steel taco holders to keep them upright. To reheat them in the microwave, I replace the plastic wrap with parchment paper and heat them with a cup of water to prevent the tortillas from hardening. If you reheat them in the skillet, brush some olive oil or cooking spray to lightly brown the tortillas.
Variations to Breakfast Burrito Fillings
You can also get creative with the fillings. Some fillings you may want to substitute are:
- chicken or turkey sausage
- black beans or refried beans
- bell peppers
Without further ado, here is the Beef Breakfast Burritos recipe. Don’t forget to share this with your friends!
Leave us a comment and share your amazing breakfast and make-ahead meals, too!
Beef Breakfast Burritos
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 piece medium red bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium or large onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder or ground ancho chile powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt optional
- 1/2 - 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 pieces medium flour or wheat tortilla
- salsa, guacamole or hot sauce for serving
- In a large non-stick skillet cook the beef over medium heat until slightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the onions, bell pepper, cumin, chile powder and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Make sure to crumble the beef using a wooden spoon to avoid clumping. Once cooked, drain excess oil and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the eggs with water and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Season with salt if preferred. Cook in the skillet until scrambled. You can also mix half of the cheddar cheese into the egg mixture.
- Spoon the beef mixture and the egg mixture into the warmed tortillas. Add more shredded cheese and cilantro as desired. Roll tightly and serve with salsa, hot sauce, or guacamole.
- If you will be storing the burritos, no need to warm the tortillas.
- You can also mix the beef mixture into the cooked egg mixture.
- You can also add milk to the scrambled eggs to make it creamier.