Summer means fishing. The thought of catching your own fish and cooking it fresh from the catch sounds like a great experience. My family used to go fishing every summer. But this summer, things got really busy and we were unable to go fishing. The thought of that fresh catfish recipe sounds promising — so we opted for buying from the market.
I found this delicious baked catfish recipe and decided to cook it for dinner. It’s so easy to prepare that I don’t have to worry about the time. Since we just moved into a new home, preparing a complicated meal was out of the question.
Choosing the Best Fish for your Catfish Recipe
When buying catfish or any kind of fish, it is important that we know how to choose fresh fish. Here are some helpful tips on how to choose the best fish for your dishes:
- Check the appearance – The fish should have shiny and tight scales, clear eyes, firm flesh, and a moist flat tail. The gills should be reddish – watch out for brownish gills! The eyes, too, should be reddish.
- Smell it — Saltwater fish should smell briny or like it just came out of the ocean. Likewise, freshwater fish should smell like it came out of a clean pond. Any rotten smell is a no-no.
- Choose your fillets – When buying filleted fish, choose those that have a pinkish and translucent flesh. The flesh should also be dense and should have little to no water in its packaging.
- Frozen fish – When buying frozen fish, choose those that are rock- solid, sealed well, and no ice crystals.
Easy and Delicious Baked Catfish Recipe
What I love about catfish is that it doesn’t taste fishy. It tastes like fish, yes, but doesn’t have that fishy smell. Maybe because it lives in freshwater. They are called catfish because they have these whiskers just like a cat’s. Imagine having your cat eat a catfish LOL!
Anyway, check out this easy catfish recipe. You’ll love that you have baking pans, which is how this dish is cooked. Personally, I prefer cooking dishes in the oven because they require lesser oil.
Leave us a comment if you’ve tried this dish. Suggestions are welcome, too. Don’t forget to share this recipe!
Easy Baked Catfish Recipe
- baking pan
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cornmeal or breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 4 pieces Catfish fillets
- Kosher salt
- fresly ground black pepper
- leom wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line your baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large plate, combine cornmeal or breadcrumbs with Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Coat the catfish fillets with the mixture.
- Arrange the catfish fillets on the lined baking pan with parchment paper and drizzle both sides with olive oil.
- Bake fore about 15 minutes.
- Serve with lemon slices.