Did you know that the first Friday of August is International Beer Day? That just gave my husband and his buddies an excuse to drink beer haha! Well, I think they all deserve it after a hectic work week. Of course, as a supportive wife, I was in charge of their appetizer. So, I decided to make these Asian samosas recipe baked in the oven so they’re oil-free, healthier, and crispy.
What I did was to make the mixture ahead of time. The next day, I can just spoon them into the prepared pie crust and bake. If you don’t have prepared pie crusts, you can also use pastry wrappers or spring roll wrappers. To have an idea of how long and what temperature to cook the samosas in spring roll wrappers, you can check out the Vietnamese Spring Rolls Recipe.
These samosas are an Indian cuisine, but they are also native in Pakistan. These delicacies are fried and are sold as street food in India, Pakistan, and other Asian countries. This samosas recipe, baked or fried, is delicious with some dipping sauce such as sweet chili sauce or hot sauce.
I hope you’ll enjoy your weekend with family and friends! Don’t forget to share this recipe with others and leave us a comment once you’ve tried it!
Easy Asian Samosas Recipe Baked
- 4 pieces potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 pieces small onions finely chopped
- 3 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 pc fresh ginger grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground all-spice powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 pcs plum tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 pcs prepared pie crusts
- 2 egg whites beaten
- Boil potatoes in salted water for about 20 minutes. Drain well and mash. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook onions, coriander seed, curry powder, ginger, salt, turmeric, cumin, allspice, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon for about 5 minutes until onions are lightly browned.
- Remove from heat and add peas, tomatoes, and mashed potatoes. Combine thoroughly and let it cool completely. You can already keep this mixture in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When ready to cook, cut the prepared pie crust into triangles. Spoon the filling inside the triangle. Fold into a triangular hat shape and seal. Brush the samosas with egg whites.
- Arrange on the prepared baking sheet and bake fore 15 minutes until golden brown.