Have you heard of the adage that “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” ? That’s right! Apples are among the healthiest fruits because they have probiotics effect and promote good gut bacteria. Thus. if your digestive system is healthy, everything else follows because you can absorb the necessary nutrients and repel the toxins. We’ll talk more about the health benefits of apples. But first, let me share with you this delicious Creamy Apple Salad.
Why Do You Need this Creamy Apple Salad?
As I’ve mentioned, an apple has so many health benefits. Among them are:
- Apples are rich in fiber, vitamin C, potassium, and vitamin K.
- Apples help in weight loss because eating apples can make you feel fuller.
- Apples contain soluble fiber that help lower cholesterol levels. They also contain polyphenols which have anti-oxidant effects. Thus, eating apples can help lead to a healthy heart.
- The polyphenols in apples help prevent damage to the beta cells. Beta cells are responsible for producing insulin. Thus, if your body produces the normal amount of insulin, it helps lower the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Apples promote a healthy good with its prebiotic properties because they contain pectin. Pectin is a type of fiber that is also prebiotic.
- The plant compounds in apples help prevent cancer.
- Apples are rich in anti-oxidants which helps prevent asthma.
- Eating apples can also help promote healthy bones.
- Eating apples may help protect the lining of the stomach from NSAIDs.
- Apples may help preserve acetylcholine, which is a brain enzyme that declines with age. Thus, apples may actually help in mental alertness and prevention of Alzheimer’s.
So are you convinced?
Your kids will surely love this creamy apple salad. It’s so easy to prepare, too. You can even prepare this a day ahead, just make sure to refrigerate it in an airtight container. You can add the nuts and coconut just before serving to keep it fresh.
You can also get creative with this apple salad by adding celery or using other nuts such as almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, or peanuts. You can even use dried cranberries instead of raisins. For a more citrusy flavor, add lemon or orange zest.
Hope you enjoy this dish!
For more apple recipes, try our Apple Pancakes.
Creamy Apple Salad
- 2 cups green apples such as Granny Smith or Golden Delicious Apples unpeeled and diced
- 2 cups red apples such as Red Delicious, Gala, Honeycrisp unpeeled and diced
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 tbsp apple juice you can also use orange juice or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt you can also use plain yogurt with a dash of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp apple spice you can also use 1/4 tsp of nutmeg and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a medium bowl, combine apples, juice, and raisings.
- In another bowl, combine yogurt, mayo and spices.
- Mix the yogurt mixture with the apple mixture. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with coconut and nuts before serving.