In a previous recipe, I shared with you how I made Barbecue Baked Beans from a recipe that I got online. I love making recipes with beans because I can use the leftovers for something else. For example, leftover chili from this Three Bean and Beef Chili Recipe is made into burritos. I even use them as toppings for chili dogs. When I’m craving for something unique to eat, I also use the leftover chili as empanada fillings.
Beans and a Great Chili Recipe
Some people don’t like the taste and texture of beans. Did you know that there are 18 types of beans? Red beans, lima beans, mung beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans, chickpeas, soybeans, and black-eyed peas are the most common (and those that I know of!)
Beans are a type of legume along with peanuts. They are rich in protein along with other nutrients such as zinc, vitamins B1 and B6, E, and K, and selenium, manganese, and copper. Beans help aid weight loss and promote a healthy heart because they lower HDL (bad cholesterol) and blood pressure.
Beans are also high in fiber and have a low glycemic index. Thus, they are perfect for diabetics.
On the other hand, beans may also cause flatulence in some people. This is because they contain raffinose, which is a type of fiber that can cause digestive problems. To prevent this, boiling the beans well helps reduce the levels of raffinose by up to 75%.
Therefore, in order to make a great chili recipe minus the flatulence, make sure you cook it well. Of course, you need the right ingredients to make the best dish, too!
Let’s Get Cooking!
Since the weekend is coming up, I decided to make this beef and chili recipe ahead of time. You see, we have guests tomorrow so I thought I’d make an early start and prepare this meal in advance. Anyway, I can just refrigerate it then reheat in the oven once the guests arrive. That would give me plenty of time to make another dish and dessert!
What about you, what’s your best bean and chili recipe! Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends, too!
Homemade Three Bean and Beef Chili Recipe
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 piece onion diced
- 1 piece red bell pepper diced
- 2 pieces carrots diced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 28-oz
- 2 cups water
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce seeded and minced
- 2 tsp adobo sauce from chipotle
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 can black beans 15.5 oz, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans 15.5 oz, rinsed and drained
- 1 can pinto beans 15.5 oz, rinsed and drained
- Get a large pot or Dutch oven. Heat some oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, carrots, bell pepper and cook for 10 minutes until softened.
- Add cumin and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add the ground beef and increase the heat to high. Cook until the meat is no longer pink. Make sure to break up the beef with a wooden spoon to avoid clumping.
- Add the tomatoes, chipotle, adobo sauce, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, partially covered, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and cook for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
1 thought on “Three Bean and Beef Chili Recipe to Spice Up Your Meals”
This is a household favorite. It never fails and while you can end up twisting it your way. Perfect on a cold night.