It’s a good thing that Memorial Day happens during Spring. It’s a great time to celebrate outdoors with barbecue and friends. I wouldn’t want to be cooped up inside the house on such an eventful day. It’s also the perfect time to unwind and have a good time. Food, family, and friends are always the perfect combination! Of course, Memorial Day, or any other gathering, will not be complete without the infamous chicken wings recipe.
Two Ways to Cook this Chicken Wings Recipe
There’s something about grilled food that really makes the mouth water. Maybe it’s the aroma of the grilled food that prepares your taste buds for a gastronomic infusion. Chicken, pork, fish, beef, or even hotdogs and burgers taste amazingly better when grilled. I think it’s the smokiness of the charcoal that adds a certain flavor to it.
Anyway, it’s best to prepare 2 batches of chicken wings for your outdoor barbecue. The first batch I will cook in the oven. I don’t want others or myself to man the grill the whole time just to make sure that the food is replenished. Thus, when we are already tired of grilling, I can just pop the other batch of wings in the oven and serve it once needed.
Cooking Tips for the Best Chicken Wings Recipe
When you’re busy hosting a party, you have to make sure that everyone is well-fed yet you are also enjoying. This chicken wings recipe is so versatile because once cooked, you can reheat it in the oven or microwave, although it will not be as crispy when used in the latter. The best way to reheat the chicken wings is to pop it in the air fryer for 10 minutes.
Lining your baking sheets and air fryer with parchment paper helps prevent the chicken wings from sticking for easier clean up. In fact, we have custom round parchment paper for air fryer so you don’t have to worry about cutting and measuring them. They are also perforated so your chicken wings will be evenly cooked to a crisp.
Baked, grilled, or air fried, this Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings Recipe is the best finger food for all occasions. If you’re looking for more recipes to serve this Memorial Day, check out our blog for more recipe ideas.
Baked or Grilled Chicken Wings Recipe
- 4 lbs whole chicken wings
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil plus more for greasing
- 3 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- If you prefer to grill the chicken wings, prepare the grill for medium heat. If you prefer to bake it in the oven, preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, place the chicken wings and add vegetable oil, 2 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning, 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and ground black pepper to taste. Toss well to make sure all pieces are coated.
- Lightly grease the cooking grate with oil. You can also use your cooling rack and place it on top of the grill. Arrange the chicken pieces in and even layer without touching.
- For baking, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. You can also use your cooling rack, just lightly grease the grate. Place it on top of the lined baking sheet and arrange the chicken wings on top. Or, you can just arrange the chicken wings directly on the baking pan with parchment paper.
- Grill for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping occasionally. If baking, bake for 40 to 45 minutes and flip half way through cooking.
- In the meantime, prepare the lemon pepper sauce. In a mixing bowl, combine lemon juice, parsley, remaining Cajun seasoning, remaining garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- When the chicken wings are cooked, toss the cooked chicken wings in the lemon pepper sauce until all pieces are well-coated. Arrange on a serving platter and enjoy!