Labor Day weekend is coming up soon! I’ve already come up with a list of dishes I’m going to serve. We have invited our close family and friends to our backyard barbecue. The guests will also bring potluck so there’s gonna be tons of food! Goodbye diet haha! Anyway, I decided to make this chicken salad avocado boats to pair with the grilled food. My husband will be making his famous Barbecued Ribs that we also had for our Fourth of July celebration.
I normally use this chicken salad recipe in sandwiches. However, I decided to make a twist out of it. The avocado boats also seemed like a good presentation idea so why not serve the chicken salad on avocados! My son is gonna print out small flags and he will mount these on toothpicks to decorate the chicken salad avocado boats.
Some of my guests are health conscious so I think this dish will really suit them. For example, one of my friends is in the Keto diet. She does not follow the diet strictly but I know that avocadoes, chicken, and mayo are Keto-friendly.
By the way, I have a cool tip for you. I used my cooling rack to dice the avocados and they were so easy! I also do the same with hardboiled eggs and mangoes — try it!
Note: In this photo, I had some extra avocados that I diced to add more to the recipe. But since you need the skin to serve the salad, you can skip this step.
Anyway, I hope that you will all have an enjoyable Labor Day weekend! Don’t forget to leave us a comment and let us know how your celebration went. Feel free to share this recipe with others, too.
Chicken Salad in Avocado Slices
- 4 avocados
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup red onion minced
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp Greek yogurt
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- chopped parsley for garnish
- chopped tomatoes for garnish
- Slice the avocados in half and remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh leaving about a thin layer of avocado flesh.
- Dice the avocados and set aside. Squeeze some lemon juice to avoid browning.
- In a large bowl, prepare the chicken salad by combining the shredded chicken, onions, mayo, lemon juice, and mustard. Add the diced avocados. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the chicken filling into the avocado halves. Garnish with parsley and tomatoes.