After a long day, the last thing on your mind is to prepare a lavish meal. If you live alone, lucky you. You don’t have to prepare much. You may already have a few leftovers that you just need to reheat. However, there are times when you also deserve to cook something delicious for yourself. If you have a family, this Honey Soy Chicken Recipe would be perfect for busy days. Dinner will be ready in less than an hour and you just need a few ingredients.
What’s so special about this recipe are the ingredients. Sesame oil, garlic, and ginger adds that certain flavor and scent that fills your kitchen and your senses. Like my son said, the smell made his mouth water and that he already felt full.
I already have some rice cooking in the rice cooker. I’m in a dilemma whether I should prepare a salad or some roasted veggies. Hmmm…. I feel a bit lazy today — roasted veggies win!
How to Make Honey Soy Chicken
The important thing to remember before cooking this recipe is that soy sauce and honey get really sticky. Thus, you should line up your baking dish with 2 layers of foil before cooking so you won’t have a hard time cleaning up afterward. The 2 layers of foil not only prevents the chicken from burning on your baking dish, but also helps insulate it.
You can also use any chicken part that you prefer. I prefer red meat over white meat because they’re juicier than chicken breasts. You can even use a whole chicken then just cut them up into small parts. However, if you’re using chicken breasts, make sure to reduce cooking time to 10-15 minutes to prevent chicken from drying.
It is also important that you let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before cutting it up so that the chicken retains its juices. I like to serve this with roasted veggies because it’s easier. During the last 10 minutes of cooking, I season some veggies (broccoli, potatoes, butternut squash), place them on a baking pan and roast them with the chicken. Saves time and effort!
Hope you’ll enjoy this recipe! Don’t forget to share!
Try this quick and easy Teriyaki Chicken Recipe, too!
Honey Soy Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 5 tbsp honey
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Get an 8 x 8 inch baking dish and line it with 2 layers of foil.
- In a mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, vegetable oil, sesame oil, honey, ginger, garlic, and pepper.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on the lined baking dish. Pour the soy sauce and honey mixture over the chicken pieces and make sure to coat them well.
- Bake for 40 minutes, uncovered. Check halfway through cooking. If they become too browned, cover with a layer of foil.
- Once chicken is cooked, let it rest for 5 minutes before serving. Transfer to a serving plate and drizzle the sauces over the chicken. Serve with roasted veggies or salad and rice.
1 thought on “Easy and Flavorful Honey Soy Chicken Recipe”
Got tired of fried chicken so I made this. Now my kids have a new favorite! More kid-friendly chicken recipes please. 🙂