It’s Cinco de Mayo! What better way to celebrate the day than with Mexican food such as traditional Mexican pork tacos, chicken fajitas, or cheesy quesadillas with avocados!
Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in some parts of the US and in Mexico. It commemorates the Battle of Puebla wherein the US and Mexico won against French forces led by Napoleon III. On May 5, 1862, General Ignacio Zaragoza led his men and defeated the French troops in Puebla. The city of Puebla was renamed to Puebla de Zaragoza. A museum was erected and the battlefield was converted to a park to commemorate the battle. However, Cinco de Mayo is different from Mexican Independence Day which is celebrated on September 16th and happened 50 years after the Battle of Puebla.
The Best Cheesy Quesadillas
Everything tastes so much better with cheese and more cheese, don’t you agree? These cheesy quesadillas with avocados are perfect not just for Cinco de Mayo but for everyday, too. Since they’re so easy to prepare, you don’t have to spend too much time in the kitchen preparing a hearty snack or appetizer. You can even swap the ingredients with what you have in your fridge. Well, except for the cheese — THAT should not be omitted. You can use other ground protein such as pork, chicken, or turkey. You can also omit the beans if you like and just load up on the meat and cheese. I also serve this with salsa or add some jalapeños for an added kick.
What’s great about this recipe is that you can prepare the ingredients in advance and just refrigerate. You cane even make homemade flour tortillas if you don’t have any on stock.
Go ahead, enjoy the day! Don’t forget to share this recipe! Leave us a comment, too, once you’ve tried this.
Cheesy Quesadillas with Avocado for Cinco de Mayo
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning mix
- 1 4.5-oz can chopped green chiles drained
- 8 pieces 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1 16-oz can refried beans heated
- 2 pieces avocados peeled, seeded, and sliced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line your baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Cook ground beef for 3 to 5 minutes. Make sure to break up the meat with a wooden spoon. When no longer pink, remove excess fat and add the taco seasoning and green chiles. Mix well to combine, turn off heat, and set aside.
- Assemble the tortillas by arranging it on the prepared baking sheet. Top it with refried beans, ground beef, avocado slices, and mozzarella. Place another tortilla on top.
- Cook the assembled tortillas for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with your favorite dip.