Who doesn’t love chocolates? Kids and adults alike will surely go crazy over chocolate. I don’t know what it is about chocolate, but nobody can say no to it. Pair that with some buttery caramel, this Caramel Chocolate Cupcake recipe will surely delight sweet tooth cravings! I’m thinking of making these for Halloween trick or treat. I’m not sure how different Halloween would be this year due to the pandemic, but we plan to bake cupcakes and distribute them to orphanages and children’s hospitals.
Why Chocolates are Good for You
Everything in excess is bad for us, and that goes with chocolate. However, did you know that chocolate is actually good for your health? I read an article about the risks and benefits of chocolate, but I decided to share with you the benefits. We all know that chocolate can be bad for health, especially if you’re obese, diabetic, or have heart problems. Again, moderation is the key.
On the other hand, science suggests that dark chocolate is actually good for health. The difference between light and dark chocolate is that dark chocolate contains a higher concentration of cocoa. Cocoa is rich in antioxidants, which makes dark chocolate healthier.
Other benefits of dark chocolate are:
- High in soluble fiber and nutrients such as iron, magnesium, and copper.
- A good source of antioxidants.
- Contains flavonols that may help improve blood sugar levels and lower blood pressure.
- Raises HDL or good cholesterol levels.
- May reduce the risk of heart disease.
- The flavonols also help protect the skin from sun damage.
- Helps improve brain function since it contains stimulants such as theobromine and caffeine.
Making Easy Caramel Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
Now, are you convinced that chocolate is good for you? But again, remember that anything in excess is not good. Always consult with a health practitioner if you have problems when eating certain kinds of food. Some people have a low tolerance for chocolate, while there are also others who may have allergies.
This recipe is very easy to make. You can also use store-bought caramel or make your own caramel syrup. I prefer to make my own so I also included it in the recipe.
Hope you’ll enjoy making and eating these delicious Caramel Chocolate Cupcakes! Don’t forget to share the recipe with your friends!
Looking for healthier options to satisfy your sweet cravings? Try this Keto Carrot Cake recipe.
Caramel Chocolate Recipe
- 1 package regular chocolate cake mix
- 24 pieces caramels
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts plus more for toppings
- chocolate frosting
- caramel syrup homemade or store-bought
For the caramel
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp butter melted at room temperature
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tsp salt
To make the caramel:
- In a thick saucepan, heat sugar over medium-low heat until melted. You need to swirl the pan every 20 seconds or so to avoid burning.
- When the sugar is melted, remove from heat and add the butter. Don't worry if it bubbles.
- Add the cream and salt and mix until well combined.
- Set aside to cool until ready.
To make the cupcakes:
- Prepare the cake mix according to package instructions.
- Line your cupcake pans with cupcake liners and pour the batter. Bake at 350 degrees F for 7 to 8 minutes or until the tops appear set.
- Gently place a caramel into the center of each cupcake. Sprinkle chocolate chips and walnuts then top with the remaining batter. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes. To test, prick the center with a toothpick, if it comes out clean then it is ready.
- Let the cupcakes cool for 5 minutes. Get a cooling rack and transfer the cupcakes. Drizzle with chocolate frosting and caramel syrup and add more walnuts as desired.