This creamy and delicious Broccoli Cheddar Soup is the ultimate comfort food for chilly winter nights. Pair it with slices of your favorite bread such as a baguette, homemade garlic bread, or sourdough bread. Anything tastes so much better with cheese — do you agree? Thus, this creamy broccoli soup served with cheddar cheese will surely satisfy you and make you crave for more.
Making Your Own Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Get creative with this soup and add more veggies as you wish. In this recipe, we used celery, broccoli, and carrots. You can even throw in some potatoes, peas, or cauliflower. You can even add small bits of meat such as chicken, ham, or bacon.
You can also use mozzarella or freshly grated Parmesan cheese instead of cheddar. Instead of milk, you can even use heavy cream or substitute whole milk for skimmed or fresh milk.
However you prepare your broccoli cheddar soup or whatever vegetables you add, it will surely make you feel warm and cozy. This is even a great pick-me-up meal if you have the blues or a cold. Serve it to family and friends who feel under the weather and they will surely feel better.
Hot Soup, Cold Nights
This recipe has all the delicious ingredients that will not only satisfy your hunger but make you feel warm all over. As I look at the window and admire the soft blanket of snow, I am thankful that I have a hot bowl of creamy broccoli cheddar soup. We all sat round the dinner table and enjoy our hot bowls with sourdough bread. I’m thinking of serving this for our Thanksgiving dinner, too.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 piece medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head large broccoli finely chopped
- 1 piece large carrot grated
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese plus more for garnish
- slices of baguette, garlic bread, or sourdough bread for serving
- In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onions and celery and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook for a minute.
- Gradually stir in the chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the broccoli and carrots. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Let it simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Slowly pour the milk and let it simmer. Add the cheddar.
- Season with salt and pepper and add more cheddar as desired. Serve with your favorite slices of bread.