Weekend summers are always special because this is the time that we all unwind and spend time with each other. One of our main rule is to limit gadget time over the weekend. That goes the same with my hubby and I — no checking of work emails! One of our favorite activities is to go camping. We either camp out in the backyard or find a campsite to go to. The kids love to go out camping during summer! Most of the time we put up a tent outside, prepare the s’mores pie, and grill some hotdogs. Why s’mores pie? You’ll see!
Why We Love S’mores Pie
Camping means grilling hotdogs and marshmallows. We have an abundance of marshmallows so we decided to make another recipe with it. Thus, the birth of the smores pie! The boys love helping out in the kitchen, especially since they are excited to eat the treats. You can imagine the chaos in the kitchen when this happens. But hey, the laughter and harmless bickering is really worth it and a stress reliever!
When making s’mores pie all I have to do is give out instructions, clean up the counters, watch over their shoulders, and join the fun. It’s amazing that I have 4 boys but they seem so at ease in the kitchen. I’m hoping one of them would put up their own restaurant someday.
Anyway, the smore’s pie is almost ready. As the it was baking in the oven, we all cleaned up and got ready to set up the grill. Hubby had been busy setting up the tent and was just putting up the finishing touches. This is gonna be a great weekend bonding! We left the s’mores pie to cook and set off outside to help out. I can really feel the excitement!
The only gadgets that we brought outside was an mp3 player and some speakers so we could play music. We also had some playing cards and board games. Guess what? The s’mores pie was delicious! It was gone in half an hour!
Why don’t you have this fun weekend activity with your family, too? Leave us a comment and let us know how it went. Don’t forget to share the recipe with your friends!
Best Summer S'mores Pie
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs about 12 crackers
- 6 tbsp melted butter melted and cooled
- 2 tbsp sugar
For the Filling:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups regular marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the crust by combining the crumbs, sugar and butter in a bowl. Mix well and press evenly at the bottom and sides of a pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes or until firm. Set aside and let it cool on your cooling rack.
- To make the filling, boil the cream in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Once it boils, turn off the heat.
- In a separate bowl, place the chocolate and pour the cream in it. Let it sit for 5 minutes then stir constantly until smooth.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla into the cream mixture.
- Pour the cream into the crust, bake for 25-30 minutes until set.
- Remove the pie from the oven and top with as many marshmallows as it would cover the whole pie.
- Set your oven’s broiler to low, and return the pie in the oven for about 2-3 minutes. Watch it closely as you don’t want burnt marshmallow. You can also use a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallows.
- Once done, take it out of the oven, set aside and let it cool in your cooling rack.