Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Thus, breakfast should both be nutritious and filling. I cannot reiterate enough how I make it a point to make sure that my family and I always have breakfast every day. Normally I would just cook bacon in the baking rack and serve it with toast and fried eggs. However, as I was watching Food Network, I decided that these bacon and eggs breakfast cups are a nice twist to the usual bacon and eggs breakfast.
This recipe takes a bit longer to cook so what I do is pre-cook the bacon the night before and just keep it in the fridge. The next day, when I cook it with the eggs, the bacon strips are still crispy. Saves time and effort in preparing breakfast!
Bacon and Eggs Breakfast, Anyone?
Bacon, when eaten moderately, can be nutritious, too. Since bacon is made from pork, some people avoid eating it due to a number of health concerns such as high cholesterol and high blood pressure. However, bacon contains 50% monounsaturated fat which mostly consists of oleic acid. This is the same fatty acid that olive oil is known for. The high-fat content in bacon is essentially healthy and is not as harmful as we thought it was. However, due to the high salt content of bacon, you may want to consume it as a minimum especially if you have high blood pressure or kidney problems.
On the other hand, eggs too were initially thought of as high in cholesterol. Eggs are a rich source of protein. Just like bacon, people thought that eggs are high in cholesterol and should not be eaten by those with cholesterol problems and high blood pressure. However, recent studies have shown that eggs are good for heart health because they contain betaine and choline. In addition, the cholesterol found in eggs is good cholesterol or HDL. Still, make sure you eat them in moderation.
Let’s Start the Day Right!
Here are the bacon and eggs breakfast cups that I made earlier. I consider this my get-up-and-go breakfast coz you can just pick it up and multi-task. Perfect for a busy day with a nice hot cup of coffee!
What about you? What are your quick breakfast ideas?
Don’t forget to share this with your friends!
Bacon and Eggs Breakfast Cups
- muffin tin
- 12 strips lean, sugar-free bacon you can also use turkey bacon
- 12 pieces large eggs
- 2 pieces potatoes sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 piece red bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh chives finely chopped
- hot sauce optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Get your muffin tin. Wrap a slice of bacon around the sides of the muffin tin to form a ring. Place 1 slice of potato at the bottom of the muffin tin. Do this for the rest of the muffin cups.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the bacon turns light brown and starts to crisp.
- Crack an egg into each of the bacon cups. Bake for another 10 minutes until the egg whites are cooked through.
- Sprinkle with chives before serving and serve with hot sauce as desired.
1 thought on “Start the Day Right with Bacon and Egg Cups for Breakfast”
One of my favorite ways of cooking eggs. I baked the bacon with some brown sugar and maple syrup on it> It was gooood!