I found this delicious Apple Rose Cake recipe online and decided to share it with you for Mother’s Day. I love the elegant yet simple rose design of this cake. Instead of a bouquet, I would love to receive this on Mother’s Day! Thus, I’m baking it for myself!
Why You’ll Love this Apple Rose Cake
One thing that I love about this cake is that it’s easy to make. The ingredients are also easy to obtain. As we transition into summer then fall, apples will be fully abundant. You can even make this apple rose cake for any special occasion!
The best variety of apples you can use for this recipe are honey crisp apples. They are known for their crispy, juicy texture and honey sweet taste. If you want a slightly tangy taste, you can use Granny Smith apples. Just remove the skin unless it’s ok for you to have a touch of green on your cake.
Apple Rose Cake Preparation
Before making this recipe, make sure you read the instructions carefully. For example, since you will be needing melted butter, it is best to let the butter melt at room temperature rather than microwaving it. You also need to peel the apples beforehand and soak it in water to avoid darkening. You can also toss it with lemon juice instead of soaking it in water.
It is also best to line your cake pan with 9-inch round parchment paper so it will be easier to remove the cake from the pan. This will prevent your cake from crumbling as you remove it. Easier to clean the cake pan, too.
This Apple Rose Cake will be perfect not just this Mother’s Day but for other special occasions. You can make it for birthdays, anniversaries Valentine’s Day, or even Christmas! You can even cheer somebody up by baking them this elegant cake. Who wouldn’t be delighted in receiving roses in the form of a cake?
Don’t forget to share this recipe with others. Leave us a comment or send us photos if you’ve tried this recipe!
Apple Rose Cake
For the Apple Rose Topping:
- 4 pieces apples cored, halved, and sliced thinly 1/8-inch thick
- lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
For the Cake Batter:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 pieces large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk or almond milk
- 1 pc medium apple grated
- 1/4 cup maple syrup warmed, for glazing over the cake
- powdered sugar for dusting
To Make the Apple Rose Topping:
- In a microwaveable bowl, toss the sliced apples in lemon juice to prevent them from darkening. Add melted butter and brown sugar, toss well to coat. Microwave for a minute, toss, then microwave for another minute. Set aside.
To Make the Cake Batter:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place your round parchment paper on a 9-inch cake pan. Spray cooking spray on the sides and on the parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar and softened butter for 1 minute until creamy.
- Beat the eggs into the mixture one at a time until well combined.
- Add the lemon zest and vanilla extract.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients: baking powder, flour, and salt.
- Turn the hand mixer on low and alternate between adding the flour mixture and the milk into the butter mixture. You should add the flour mixture 3 times and the milk 2 times.
- Fold in the grated apples into the mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan. Make sure to tap the cake pan lightly to release the air bubbles and level the top with with a spatule.
- Arrange the apple slices starting at the outer edge to form a rose. Make sure the apple slices are upright and press them lightly on the batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes. You can also test if the cake is done when a toothpick placed in the middle comes out clean.
- While the cake is still warm, gently glaze it with the warm maple syrup and let it cool to give it a nice sheen. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.