Enjoy the flavors of summer in your dishes! Apricots are in season this summer and they are a perfect addition to your chicken dishes. The sweet and tangy taste complements the taste of chicken very nicely. You can also make apricot jam or preserves and use them with your toast. In fact, in this apricot chicken recipe, you can make your own apricot preserve or buy the store-bought one.
Just like in the Orange Chicken Recipe, the sweet and sour taste of apricots enhance the flavor of this chicken dish. Since it’s also barbecue season, apricots can be grilled and served with frozen vanilla yogurt for dessert.
Health Benefits of this Apricot Chicken Recipe
You already know that chicken is a rich source of protein and is a healthy ingredient. Now, let’s talk about apricots. Among the best benefits of apricots are improved digestion and better eye health. Apricots are a rich source of vitamin A and E which are good for the eyes. These vitamins play a vital role in preventing night blindness. Yellow foods, including apricots, are also a good source of beta carotene. High in soluble fiber, apricots aid in good digestion and promotes gut health, too.
Here are other health benefits of apricots:
- good source of antioxidants that neutralizes free radicals
- rich in Vitamins C and E that boost skin health and immunity
- high in potassium for a healthy fluid balance and reduces risk of high blood pressure and stroke
- helps protects the liver
Let’s Get Cooking!
What’s great about this recipe is that you have different options to cook it. You can cook the apricot chicken recipe in the oven, instant pot, slow cooker, or even on a grill! I prefer cooking it in the oven so I can just leave it while I prepare for dinner or relax for a bit.
Don’t forget to let us know once you’ve tried this recipe! Please do share this with others, too!
5-Ingredient Apricot Chicken Recipe
- 3 pieces chicken breasts deboned and skin removed
- 1 cup apricot preserves or homemade apricot preserves
- 1 cup Catalina or Russian dressing
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 oz dried onion soup mix
- Cut chicken breasts in half, strips, or bite-sized portions.
- Combine the dressing, apricot preserves, Dijon mustard, and onion soup mix. Mix well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Get your quarter size baking pan, apply cooking spray, and arrange the chicken in an even layer.
- Pour the apricot mixture evenly over the chicken.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until cooked through.
For Slow Cooker:
- Arrange the chicken in your slow cooker. Pour the apricot mixture evenly over it.
- Cook for 2 to 3 hours on high heat or 4 to 6 hours on low heat.
For Instant Pot:
- Pour 1/3 cup of water in the Instant Pot.
- Place the chicken in the water. Pour the apricot mixture evenly.
- Close the lid firmly and make sure the tab is set to "sealing." Cook for 10 minutes on high pressure. Allow natural release for 5 minutes before serving.
- Place the chicken in a Ziplock bag. Pour half of the mixture in the bag and let the chicken marinate in it for 2 to 3 hours. Save half of the apricot mixture in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until needed.
- Grill the chicken for 5 to 6 minutes on each side over medium-high heat. Brush it with the remaining apricot mixture to keep it moist.