2020 starts with a worthy cause! January 13th marks the celebration of Sugar Awareness Week until January 17th, which is a campaign by the sugarawareness.com.The challenge is to “Omit sugar from your diet for 5 days.” In this way, you learn the effects of sugar in your bodily functions such as your brain and mental functions, emotions and physical responses and how sugar addiction controls your life.
Sugar Does Affect the Body
Although everything looks rosy when things are sweet, sugar may not always be beneficial to human health. As you may be well aware, too much sugar in your diet coupled with weak pancreatic functions in the body may lead to the development of diabetic conditions in a person. Aside from being prone to diabetes, too much sugar may have the following effects in the body:
- Sugar makes you fat and overweight.
- It potentially damages your teeth leading to decay and loss.
- May cause sugar addiction. Your need to be happy may later lead to depressive conditions.
- Become intensely moody due to the fluctuating effect of having high and low blood sugar levels.
- It causes joint pains and inflammation in the body.
- Your skin can age faster making you look significantly older.
- You will have diminished liver, pancreas, kidney and sexual functions.
- You will be prone to cardiovascular diseases.
Sugar Awareness Recommendations
To maintain good health, everyone is encouraged to take serious steps to minimize the daily intake of sugar. Some tips to avoid sugars on a daily basis are the following:
- Limit intake of carbohydrates to less than 20 grams
- Ensure to take only low glycemic carbohydrates.
- Take proteins by at least 20 grams.
- Consume only good fats/cholesterol like fish and avocados.
Sugar is an important source of energy in our body. It should be consumed in moderation to maintain a well-balanced and healthy body free from illnesses. Take the Sugar Awareness Week challenge and lead a healthier life! In addition, use this diabetes-friendly recipe to add to your healthy recipe library.
If you loved this article, give us a like and share it with your friends and family. Keep coming back to our website for more recipes and cooking/baking tips. See you soon!