2020 starts with a worthy cause! January 13th marks the celebration of Sugar Awareness Week until January 17th, which is a campaign by the sugarawareness.com. The challenge is to “Omit sugar from your diet for 5 days.” In this way, you learn the effects of sugar in your bodily functions such as your brain and mental functions, emotions and physical responses and how sugar addiction controls your life. At the end of this article, you will find a healthy Spinach Rolls recipe that will be perfect for a sugar-free diet!
Sugar Does Affect the Body
Although everything looks rosy when things are sweet, sugar may not always be beneficial to human health. As you may be well aware, too much sugar in your diet coupled with weak pancreatic functions in the body may lead to the development of diabetic conditions in a person. Aside from being prone to diabetes, too much sugar may have the following effects in the body:
- Sugar makes you fat and overweight.
- It potentially damages your teeth leading to decay and loss.
- May cause sugar addiction. Your need to be happy may later lead to depressive conditions.
- Become intensely moody due to the fluctuating effect of having high and low blood sugar levels.
- It causes joint pains and inflammation in the body.
- Your skin can age faster making you look significantly older.
- You will have diminished liver, pancreas, kidney and sexual functions.
- You will be prone to cardiovascular diseases.
Sugar Awareness Recommendations
To maintain good health, everyone is encouraged to take serious steps to minimize the daily intake of sugar. Some tips to avoid sugars on a daily basis are the following:
- Limit intake of carbohydrates to less than 20 grams
- Ensure to take only low glycemic carbohydrates.
- Take proteins by at least 20 grams.
- Consume only good fats/cholesterol like fish and avocados.
Featured Dish: Spinach Rolls Recipe
Sugar is an important source of energy in our body. It should be consumed in moderation to maintain a well-balanced and healthy body free from illnesses. Take the Sugar Awareness Week challenge and lead a healthier life! This Spinach Rolls recipe is a perfect addition to your healthy recipes, check out the recipe below!
If you’re looking for a heart-healthy dish, try our Salmon with Lemon and Garlic recipe.
If you loved this article, give us a like and share it with your friends and family. Keep coming back to our website for more recipes and cooking/baking tips. See you soon!
Spinach Roll recipe
- 16 oz frozen spinach leaves
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 oz onions
- 2 oz carrots
- 1 oz low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 4 oz fat-free cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C).
- Thaw the spinach and squeeze out the water (you can use a strainer). To speed up the thawing process, you can microwave the spinach for a few minutes.
- Mix spinach, 2 eggs, mozzarella, garlic, half the salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Move the spinach mixture to the sheet and press it flat, about 10x12 inches in size and roughly ½ an inch thick.
- Bake for 15 minutes. When done, set aside to cool on a rack. It will get the texture/look of a really thick seaweed mat (if you ever have sushi, you know what I’m talking about).
- Don’t turn off the oven! You’ll need it again in a bit.
- Finely chop onion and parsley. Grate the carrots.
- Fry the onions for about a minute in a skillet with a little cooking spray.
- Add carrots and parsley to the pan and let it simmer for about 2 min. Add cottage cheese, curry, chili, the other half of the salt, and pepper and mix briefly.
- Take the skillet off the heat and add an egg. Mix it all together and spread the filling over the now cool spinach mat. Don’t spread it all the way to the corners, or it will spill out when you roll it up.
- Carefully roll up the spinach mat and filling. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Take out the roll and let it cool for 5-10 min before cutting it into slices and serving.